Join now - be part of our community!

KD55X8508C Latest Firmware Update?

SOLVED
profile.country.GB.title
Zach_N85
Explorer

KD55X8508C Latest Firmware Update?

Hi guys,

As some of you may know, Sony recently released an update for the X850C along with other models, it is the 3.531 firmware update.

This update fixes the following issues:

UPDATE System Software UpdateRelease Date10/25/2016VersionPKG3.531.0108NABFile Size1.22 GBDOWNLOAD

File Description

Sony has designed the BRAVIA® Televisions software update process to be customer friendly. This software update (version PKG3.531.0108NAB) provides the following benefits:

Improvements over version PKG3.473.0107NAB:

• Improves the general performance of the television

Benefits provided by previous updates and included in version PKG3.531.0108NAB:

• Adds support for 4K Live/NeuLion® Sports digital video technology
  • Improves general software quality of the TV
  • Improves RVU support
  • Adds Twin Picture (PAP function) support
  • Resolves a condition where a black picture may occur after performing a remote Off/On (KDL-75W850C)
  • Supports PlayMemories Online service
  • Supports PlayStation™ Now service
  • Improves Wi-Fi connectivity of the TV
  • Improves picture quality (dynamic range, noise reduction, sharpness)
  • Supports Netflix® streaming service (4K Models)
  • Improves Lip Sync for HDMI input
  • Improves performance and stability of the USB video playback features
  • Resolves a condition where a black screen and no sound may occur when an input changes from YouTube® to another input
  • Resolves a condition where a black screen may occur during USB video playback
  • Supports Internet based EPG (Electronic program guide)
  • Supports Netflix streaming service (2K Models)
  • Supports Amazon®, Pandora®, and Crackle™ applications
  • Supports Force Reboot by holding down the Power key on the BT or IR remote controller
  • Improves performance and stability of overall UI operation
  • Improves performance and stability of the Action Menu

As well as decreases the input lag for 4K HDR mode. I've been following this on the Sony.com boards, however, It's been a week since it was released and I still don't have the update on mine. I'm located in Israel, and our Sony TVs are imported from Italy. I was wondering if some of you know when this update is due to reach European models, currently it looks like it's only available for US models.

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Anonymous
Not applicable

Unfortunately the 3.509 FW update did not fix the issue for everyone, and for many reduced symptoms.

No date has been set for Marshmallow, and the only thing I can publically say is 'soon' - sorry :slight_smile:

Unsure what you mean by: "Will Marshmellow also include the latest firmware when it's out?"  - but it will be the latest firmware when released.

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

The US/Asia Pacific region is on a different timeline and development cycle than EU.  So take this information as a potential guide but that is all.  I hate to state the obvious to anyone, but please do not install firmware that is not designed for your region.

Cheers

profile.country.GB.title
Zach_N85
Explorer

Hi, thanks for replying quickly :slight_smile:

Of course, I'm patient and I won't install an update which is not fit for my set, however, I was just looking to get info on when updates usually become available after the NA release.

This is a big update which improves many things so I don't think it makes sense it would only be a US release.

Do you have more info on this maybe perhaps? Thanks again

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

You're welcome.

An OTA update will be released for the UK by 'mid november' - I do not know if it will be for the rest of EU however.  This is to address the 4K juddering issue for Sky/BT.  As far as I am aware however, no other improvements or bugs will be addressed until Marshmallow is rolled out in the EU (ETA Unknown yet - but soon).

Cheers

profile.country.GB.title
royabrown
Enthusiast

@Zach_N85

That seems like a very big list, but if you read the announcement closely, the only new thing is the first bullet point, that vague 'general improvements'.

Everything else is quoted as having been previously implemented, but is still contained in this new release.

And why wouldn't it be, unless Sony hit a regression bug, and lose something previously fixed?

YouView Superuser, but not an employee of YouView, nor retained by them for this purpose. It's purely me speaking
profile.country.GB.title
Zach_N85
Explorer

Thanks again, I actually saw that update on the Sony.co.uk website:

http://www.sony.co.uk/support/en/content/cnt-hn/prd-tvhc/Juddering-issue-on-4K-TVs-with-UHD-STB-UPDA...

Firmware 3.509 fixes this issue. 

So no word on any firmware updates until Marshmellow roles out. Will Marshmellow also include the latest firmware when it's out?

profile.country.GB.title
Zach_N85
Explorer

@royabrown wrote:

@Zach_N85

That seems like a very big list, but if you read the announcement closely, the only new thing is the first bullet point, that vague 'general improvements'.

Everything else is quoted as having been previously implemented, but is still contained in this new release.

And why wouldn't it be, unless Sony hit a regression bug, and lose something previously fixed?

You're right! I actually haven't noticed that, sorry!

But I do know that this recent update was mainly to reduce the input lag which the TV experiences in 4K HDR mode. It was reduced from 93 to 56ms. I plan on buying the PS4 pro and would really want to have this update for launch, but as said it doesn't appear to be available for me. 

Again as said my model is KD-55X8508C, imported from Italy, I assume the same update on the UK site should work on my set if released? Same exact model number and AFAIK there are no model differences within Europe. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

Unfortunately the 3.509 FW update did not fix the issue for everyone, and for many reduced symptoms.

No date has been set for Marshmallow, and the only thing I can publically say is 'soon' - sorry :slight_smile:

Unsure what you mean by: "Will Marshmellow also include the latest firmware when it's out?"  - but it will be the latest firmware when released.

profile.country.GB.title
Zach_N85
Explorer

Sorry what I meant was: Will the firmware also be updated to the latest version when Marshmellow is released, and I guess you answered that :slight_smile:

I guess that clarifies it, one last question, you mentioned not to install updates which are not designed for your region - completely understood. However, is there any difference within EU? Meaning if I have the KD55X8508C, and it's the same model across Europe, can I download updates for it from any European Sony site?

Anonymous
Not applicable

As far as I understand it - the same firmware is available for all EU countries.

In the UK we can use another EPG system called YouView, which is a major difference between EU countries.  But as far as I understand it - the YouView system detects the country and hence can be enabled if your in the UK  (Correct ? @royabrown )