Join now - be part of our community!

4K Handycam's

profile.country.GB.title
Jonnie1266
Contributor

4K Handycam's

Hi, three questions for you experts out there :slight_smile:

i) Are we going to see a 4K Handycam with built in memory (64GB as model FDR-AX30 - here) available in the UK ?

ii) Can anyone explain when shooting in XAVC S 4K mode why we are limited to MPEG-4 Linear PCM 2ch audio and not able to make use of Dolby Digital 5.1ch which would be great for Home Cinema systems ?

iii) Supposedly it is possible to store recorded material in XAVC S 4K onto a computer using PlayMemories Home, a decent size hard drive required I know at approx. 2hrs footage / 64GB. Are there plans afoot to be able to burn this media onto the (hopefully) forthcoming high capacity optical discs that will (even more hopefully) be playable on the forthcoming 4K capability players ? - Big question :wink:

Happy hunting..... Oh, and many thankyou's in advance - Kudos available for accurate / best answers

If it ain't broke don't fix it
2 REPLIES 2
Pavvy8

I dont see Sony bringing any more of the camcorders with built-in hard drives as they try to keep the costs down and allow the consumer to select how much memory they would like and also recommends people to use external storages and avoid cables for slow transfers

dont know question 2

i highly doubt you will find out an ansfer for ur 3rd question = ive just read that they have finally made some progress with the 4k disc but no official specs or news out there

profile.country.GB.title
Jonnie1266
Contributor

@Pavvy8

Thanks for your thoughts.

You have made some good points regarding question 1 although Sony have already made a 4K Handycam with a 64GB hard drive which is not available in the UK. I do not know if it utilises USB 3.0 but if it does that would make up for transfer times ?

I have since learned that Panasonic HC-VX870 4K Ultra HD camcorder uses 5.1ch surround sound even in 4K mode so I do not understand why the Sony does not.

You are right regarding the high capacity optical discs, and apparently there is a move to get the players on the market before Christmas.

If it ain't broke don't fix it