Join now - be part of our community!

Compatible Sony portable External HDD for "Direct Copy" with a 4k Handycam

DavidNolan1962
Explorer

Compatible Sony portable External HDD for "Direct Copy" with a 4k Handycam

I recently bought an FDR AXP33 (actually a FDR AXP35 which is identifcal but has 64gb internal memory but is not available yet in the UK).  I need to connect a portable external HDD for use with "Direct Copy" on the Handycam, but I cannot find a list of compatible Sony External HDD devices.

I orginally followed the guidance in the Handycam manual about External Media devices, and so acquired a Seagate 4TB portable external HDD, formatted to NTFS on my computer as stated in the AXP35 manual, and I connected using a VMC-UAM2 cable.  Unfortunately, no matter what I do, I get "Cannot recognise the external media. Format and try again", and then "This media is noncompliant" messages on the Handycam.

So I figured I would get a compatible Sony external drive instead, with as much capacity as possible, but it must be portable.

Does anyone know which Sony range are compatible or where this information can be found.  I can't afford to get it wrong again!! :slight_smile:

Thanks in advance for any help.

David

6 REPLIES 6
profile.country.GB.title
Pumpkin_Duke

Hey David,

Probably the HDD is too big - maybe the camcorder only supports 2TB.

Cheers

PD

profile.country.GB.title
Jonnie1266
Contributor

@DavidNolan1962

Hi there,

I have recently posted some questions regarding 4K Camcorders (see here:)

Where did you come by the FDR AXP33 ? Will it record 4K footage in 5.1ch audio ? I have since discovered that the equivalent Panasonic 4K Handycam can do this. I want to know if a Sony model can.

Out of interest PlayMemories Home has had a recent update which will allow XAVC S footage to be uploaded and stored on a HDD or even burned to a disc - this may be your way forward ?

Thanks in advance

If it ain't broke don't fix it
DavidNolan1962
Explorer

Thanks PD for your reply.

I've sort of given up already on trying to get the 4TB drive to connect to the Handycam, but it will still be useful as a backup for my laptop, especially once I start creating loads of videos. Those 4k100mbps vdeos aren't small...a little 5 minute video I created was 3.5GB (but the quality was awesome)!!

What I really need now is a list of portable external hdd's that is pre-assured to be compatible with the Handycam, so I don't risk spending more money without knowing it will be successful.  I can't find any such list on the Sony websites, or elsewhere.

DavidNolan1962
Explorer

Hi Johnnie,

I actually bought a AXP35 model from the expeditelectronics website.  I believe they ship the latest models across from Asia, and it took 7 days to arrive.  I paid £685 which included inportation taxes and delivery - an incredible price!! The AXP35 is identical to the AXP33 but includes 64GB internal memory and has a memory card slot in addition.  My experiences with the website were positive, and the camera seems to be 100% in order.

As I understand it the AXP33 model is now available through UK retailers.  My local Sony shop is advertising them with an £85 cash back offer, but as the starting price is almost £1,100, it makes my AXP35 a vastly better deal, being both much cheaper and an upgraded model.

Now regarding your question about 5.1ch audio in 4k, unfortunately it seems that only 2 channel audio is possible at the moment in AVCHD mode.  I was a little disappointed by this, and I hope Sony will change this in the future with an update.  I can't see why 5.1ch should not be an option on the top quality video, because most likely the user will be aiming for best quality in all respects including the audio.

Regarding PlayMemories Home, in my case this won't solve my need for the external hard dirve connect to the camera through Direct Copy.  The reason I need to do t this was is becasue I will be travelling in Zambia for three weeks and the strict luggage allowances for some little putt-putt planes mean I will have to leave my laptop at home - it's quite heavy when I am having to make choices between items with grams of difference.

Thanks for you help,

David

profile.country.GB.title
Jonnie1266
Contributor

@DavidNolan1962

Thankyou for your reply David,

I am almost there then ! All I require to go ahead with a 4K camcorder is the combination of 5.1ch audio and an internal hard drive. I am reluctant to gamble that Sony will send an update for your camcorder although it does have a 5.1ch microphone fitted - you are quite right, why would anyone wanting the top quality picture not also want the top quality audio ? :thinking:  I was thinking it may have something to do with the compression format but heyho Panasonic can do it.

I have checked out the website and it does look a great way to obtain products that are not available for the UK, and as you say, cheaper too. I used Conrad Electronics to purchase the Sony BDV-N9100 Blu-ray Home Theatre System as at the time it was not available in the UK - works fine after buying Euro to UK plug adapters, updates the same and was cheaper than when finally introduced to the UK !

Thanks for the tip

If it ain't broke don't fix it
DavidNolan1962
Explorer

Johnny

I'm glad you worked out my typo...I of course meant 5.1ch is only available in AVCHD mode.  Higher video modes only have 2ch audio.

Good luck with finding the ideal camera!

The only thing I found with th AXP35 I got from expeditelectronics was that it arrived with the Japanese language set as default.  It took me abount three minutes trial and error to navigate the Japanese menus to find the language settings to switch it to English.  Once done though, it's just like it was made for the English market.

David