Join now - be part of our community!

WLAN a refresh below

SOLVED
profile.country.sv_SE.title
duffan
Visitor

WLAN a refresh below

I have a Bravia Sony KDL-40NX800 and a BDV-F500.

The TV is connected to my WLAN and it works.

Q; Why cannot the BDV-F500 work throu the TV WLAN?

Do I really nee to get me a WLAN adaptor also for the tiny F500?

YES I JUST PURCHASED THE WIFI ADAPTOR FOR BDV-F500 AND IT WORKED FINE.

MADE A SW UPDATE.

I AM ANGRY WHY A SYSTEM TV+BDV DOESNOT SHARE WIFI. TV BUILT IN BUT EXTRA FOR BDV AND IA WAS NOT TOLD AT PURCHASE

I DO MISS A BROWSER IN MY TV

THIS FORUM SEEMS TO MISS SONY EXPERTS JUST USERS SO GOOD BYE

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
profile.country.en_GB.title
StartTheCar
Contributor

Hi Duffan

Sorry for the delay of this reply, hope you haven’t totally given up.

Firstly, your point about your posts missing experts and being replied by to by other customers is a little unfair.  In my experience the "experts" are often you guys, who are using these products day and day out.  The best and most practical answers often come from the community.  Indeed, that was kind of the point of this forum and is why Sony only gets involved on the rare occasion the community cannot help each other out.

Its early days, but so far this is going pretty well, with everyone here very impressed with the quality of the replies to date.

With regards to your question, can I clarify that you would like to know why you cannot use the one WLAN adaptor for both your Bravia and Blu-ray system?

Assuming I have got that right, I will get you an answer by the end of today.

Regards
Lee

View solution in original post

14 REPLIES 14
StartTheCar
Contributor

Hi Duffan

Sorry for the delay of this reply, hope you haven’t totally given up.

Firstly, your point about your posts missing experts and being replied by to by other customers is a little unfair.  In my experience the "experts" are often you guys, who are using these products day and day out.  The best and most practical answers often come from the community.  Indeed, that was kind of the point of this forum and is why Sony only gets involved on the rare occasion the community cannot help each other out.

Its early days, but so far this is going pretty well, with everyone here very impressed with the quality of the replies to date.

With regards to your question, can I clarify that you would like to know why you cannot use the one WLAN adaptor for both your Bravia and Blu-ray system?

Assuming I have got that right, I will get you an answer by the end of today.

Regards
Lee

duffan
Visitor

Dear LEE

thanks for responding--yeah I had give UP attitude

Refresh;

1. I have KDL-40NX800 and BDV-F500

+ very good picture and better soundsystem than I expected and only one remote--Great

- I now have a WLAN TV and WLAN adaptor for BDV

+I have updated SW in my BDV

2. Internet on my Sony´s

- Content limited

- americanized not localized

3. Today movies are key and int the internet there are a lot of rental movies.

- You miss a browser to enable rental movies

- You need a browser with Flash and Silverlight

- You need to enable access shared files on MAC and PC

or

4. No need for WLAN nor Sony Internet in TV/BDV

Why?

1. APPLETV handle that need or

2. Boxee box handel that need too

5. What is your next step and strategy and when?

I have preordered a Boxee Box---so hurry up--If you have a solution i will cancel my preorder

br

Lars

duffan
Visitor

Why did I buy a WLAN TV and a WLAN adaptor tom my homemovie???

IF SONY would have a Browser which could handle Flash movies then I would be happy.

Today Sony sellect what they think I could see. SONY you are just stupid......

There is a soution;

1. DONOT buy a WLAN TV or WLAN adaptor

2. BUY a BOXEE BOX by D-LINK instead

Below text Swedish--available browse Google--in english

Catmambo
Contributor

Hi Lars

I'll step in and comment from a Sony Development side. Whilst I'm sure you'll undertstand we can't talk in detail about strategy what I will say is that platform is growing and new services being added all the time - indeed looking at my dev plan, we have around 4 services launching in the next 6 weeks or so.

In response to your other points, I'd argue the content is actually fairly well localised: iPlayer, Lovefilm, Channel 5, SET are all local services. Whilst there are indeed US services on the platform, these offer a bit of breadth and depth to the content.

Movies are indeed key which is why we already offer Lovefilm on the service. You may well have seen the annoucement at IFA about the launch of Qriocity Music and Movies - http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/2010/sep/01/sony-qriocity-streaming-music-video which is also very impressive and launching soon

All BRAVIA enabled devices are fully DLNA compliant and offer access to content sharing from your PC/MAC. Hope this goes some way to answering your questions.

Thanks

duffan
Visitor

Thanks for the info, but

1. My IMAC is not at DNLA server, and connected over WIFI it is not seen on the TV Home,

--Looks like HDMI connection or other cable i necessary?

2. My IMAC is set for sharing and it works well over WIFI to PC with Vista, but not the SONY Bravia.

I tried Twonky server software and then it works, but the SW is heavy and my IMAC slows down even if not used--bad for MAC/OS

3. Still no Browser with Flash nor Silverlight?

This means I´ll keep the order for Boxee Box

--It will solve WIFI to IMAC and HDMI to Sony Bravia

-- It can then show all shared data on the screen--from IMAC Movie, Photo, Music(Itune)

--It has a Browser with flash i v.1 so I can rent movies from Internet--my choice--and streem these to the Bravia.

4. I had to buy a WIFI adaptor for the BDV-F500 to connect to Update services etc It is done.

OK the value of WLAN in my SONY KDL-40NX800 is good, but limited and slowly improving, but at the SONY choice--NOT MINE.

Sony hasnot been "customer need focused"

Competition is comming and APPLETV, Boxee Boxe is ahead in data and Internet.

I need no longer an answer since the BOXEE BOX order is on, but if I had known this I hadNOT bought a WLAN TV

Catmambo
Contributor

I think I replied to your other thread as to why open browsers aren't current available and suited to current TV's. Open Internet isn't always the solution - Content rights are negotiatied on a platform by platform basis so rights holders can and already do block access to open access devices as we have seen in the US broadcasters and this trend is likely to continue as more devices get online - so just because you can get a service today, doesn't mean you'll get it tomorrow.

Respectfully, you are obviously a early adopter and love your technology, so HTPC's and high end STB's will always be more suited to you. Sony are a mass market brand and extremely customer focussed in offering localised products and services which appeal to people of many age groups who want the services, but want simplicity and one single remote control.

Hopefully this explains a little more why we take the direction we do.. :slight_smile:

duffan
Visitor

Hi

I do understand.

I sellected SONY because I liked the picture quality.

I sellceted the tiny BDV-F500, because we move to a smaller house--and were impressed by the soundquality.

I had a big reciever for DTS and Dolby surround and large speakers--but this tiny F500

is better than I expected

+++ is also built in CI and now I have CAM module.

Everything with one remote--SUPER

I will follow updates

ps my home country is SWEDEN---thats why sweenglish ds

duffan
Visitor

Hi

I tried out Twonky Server on my IMAC--available for PC as well.

The Twonky software makes the IMAC/PC to a DNLA server.

The Sony KDL-40NX800 with WIFI is a DNLA client.

With Twony we get Sever-client connection over WIFI and IT really Works.

You can then streem Photos--Iphoto, Movies, Music from the PC/MAC.

But to see Internet Movies seen on the IMAC/PC, you must connect the PC to HDTV via cables to create screen sound copy.

S-video or

minidvi to VGA + Sound cables

All this available in Youtube.

TWONKY SW price i us dlrs 39,95.

No Twony, then you need AppleTV or GoogleTV or Boxee Box

connect to HDTV via HDMI 1,3 or higher

Connect to MAC/PC via WIFI

Connect to Internet WIFI with APPS, Widgets or Browser

The PC/MAC must have a correct filesharing set up.

There is a YOutube on this.

The Boxee conncetion an filesharing is equal to share files to a PC or between PCs

You sellect the files to be shared.

I sellected a Media Map with an ItuneMAP, My Photos, My Videos sub maps and in the sub maps the content.

It works excellent

--I am no expert from any company--retired engineer only 66 years

duffan
Visitor

I found a new solution a different approach;

1. I changed from Fiber connected CabelTV to Fiber 100mbs IPTV

--It gives me more programs, and I can rent Movies directly on my SONY

2. I added a NAS to the WIFI routers Gigabitport--It has DNLA Server software.

--I syncronize my Photos, Music, Videos between PC and NAS

Result;

I can watch Photos, Videos, litsten to music on MY Sony Bravia KDL-40NX800 over WIFI, since the HDTV is a DLNA Client

I skipped the BOXEE

Now I hope that Sony Sweden also add more Apps to the My Sony.

I have no more issues

br