Join now - be part of our community!

CD/DVD drive keeps disappearing

pinhead1337
Visitor

CD/DVD drive keeps disappearing

Hi I cant see my drive in 'My Computer' or device manager. Sometimes rebooting fixes it but its not doing it now. Can anyone help? I installed the latest click to dvd driver to no avail.

Also what happened to the search feature on this forum?

Cheers

6 REPLIES 6
profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Hi pinhead1337,

As with most intermittent problems, they can be hard to cure. If your drive is sometimes in Device Manager and sometimes not, that sounds like a hardware issue caused by a poor connection to the motherboard or an internal fault in the drive.

What model Vaio do you have? We may be able to help you check the electrical connections if we know the model. But it sound like a repair may be the only answer.

There are problems with the Search function - for an alternative have a look here: -

http://club.vaio.sony.co.uk/clubvaio/GB/en/forum/viewthread?thread=57055

:slight_frown:

pinhead1337
Visitor

I have a VGN-FJ3M. I can eject the drive and I can hear the cd spinning but that's about it. I might take it apart and have a look inside then. If you can give me any pointers that would be great I'll check back here later before I do it.
Thanks

profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

You need to remove the keyboard to get at the DVD drive connector and securing screws.

I have the generic VGN-FJ Series manual in PDF format. If you would like it, send me your email address by PM. The file is 2MB and I can only attach 1MB to this post.

:thinking:

pinhead1337
Visitor

PM sent, I think, although there's nothing in my sent box

profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

I can see a PM in my inbox but I cant open it.

The fault has been reported - perhaps they will fix it tomorrow????

profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

OK it works now so I have sent you an email.

:slight_smile: