Join now - be part of our community!

Bravia virus ?

profile.country.GB.title
f6dqm1

Bravia virus ?

Hello. There's something weird about my TV Bravia KD32W800. On one TV channel, always the same channel, there is a transparent panel that is superimposed on the image. This panel contains the text : "Welcome to nginx! blablabla". There are a lot of posts on Internet about this nag. They most apply to PCs and smartphones but not for Android TVs. I would like to know how to get rid of this panel. Is this a virus ? When I restart the TV, the panel disappears for a while but always re-appears after some delay. The only way to clear it is to stop the Wifi connection to my Internet router. But this is not the solution I would like.

The TV channel which is concerned is received from a local  TV emitter, from outside, not from internet. I have tried to clear the datas of the maximum applications which are installed in this TV but no way !

It is a virus, which sort of antivirus can I install and run ?

If it comes from a particular application, which one is it ?

Thanks for answers.

12 REPLIES 12
profile.country.GB.title
f6dqm1

The  problem is know which app generates these notifications !

When opening the menu Applications, most of them cannot be uninstalled. I can just clear their datas (cache or history maybe). I have done this but it does not solve the problem.

There was also 2  apps that I had installed (browsers). I uninstalled them without any result.

Maybe this app is not an app but is included directly in the Sony software. In this case, I can just conclude that the Sony software is a real SPYWARE that can monitor my TV and Internet habits and distribute them for any purpose !

I would then recommend any user of this Bravia TV to never connect it to Internet ...

By the way, I have done another test : My TV set is also connected to a satellite receiver through an HDMI input. From this satellite receiver (ASTRA satellite), I receive also the digital french TV channels. When watching the channels L'EQUIPE and ARTE, I have no notifications. I have looked on the hundreds other TV channels that are retransmitted by this satellite. Never I have seen any notification on any channel. 

A priori this may mean that the Sony software spies only the DTV/ATV inputs but not the HDMI inputs, or that it is unable to detect the names of the TV channels that are decrypted from the satellite receiver ?

profile.country.GB.title
royabrown2
Hero

@f6dqm1 

Yes, I expect that Sony is monitoring your viewing habits. But not for any purpose; just for the purposes set out in the Sony Terns and Conditions that you had to agree to when first setting up the TV, for it to work.

If you don’t like those, then as you say, turn off the internet on the Sony TV, or buy one of a different make with T&Cs that are more to your liking. If you can find one.

Your options now, perhaps, are to ask your friends or neighbours if they can reproduce this issue; does it happen on any smart TV, or just Sony TVs, or perhaps just your TV?

And I would certainly ask the broadcaster if they have come across this issue, or had it reported, and they may have some insights into it.

My favourite bedtime reading is a Sony product manual…
profile.country.GB.title
SatoruGojo
Community Team

Hey @f6dqm1, can show us the issue in picture, you can try to reset the TV to the default settings and if it disappears.