Join now - be part of our community!

Light vertical area on KDL-40W705C tv on left side

profile.country.GB.title
Flycatchers
New

Light vertical area on KDL-40W705C tv on left side

My older Sony tv developed this issue some time back. It shows as a lighter area on the left side of the screen covering from the top to bottom in a vertical area. It is most apparent on lighter images. Darker pictures not quite so apparent. Is it to do with back light issues? I guess it is probably not repairable? You can see the effect on these two photos I took.IMG_4741.jpegIMG_4740.jpeg

5 REPLIES 5
profile.country.IT.title
Marino.Manolo
Genius

W705C has Edge LED Backlight so yes, a "problem" related to it.
profile.country.GB.title
HannahEd01
Community Team

Hey Flycatchers, try the steps mentioned here: 

https://www.sony.co.uk/electronics/support/televisions-projectors-lcd-tvs/kdl-32w653a/articles/00032...

If it remains on all sources, the TV will need to be sent for inspection, here's the authorised service centres link in the UK

profile.country.GB.title
Flycatchers
New

The effect mainly appears on light images on the tv or menu screens. If the picture is black or dark colours it is less obvious. As none of the service centres are anywhere near me it would mean posting the tv which wouldn’t be a great idea! I was going to try updating the firmware which is currently V3.004 and the latest one on the Sony site is V3.006. However when I tried to installed from the customer support menu.  But it keeps saying newer version not detected! Any ideas?

profile.country.GB.title
Flycatchers
New

On some menu screens like the Apps one it isn’t noticeable. And on the open source license screen despite being a grey screen with black lettering is not visible. But on all tv/internet/ DVD images it is noticeable on lighter images. It’s not a straight line but  covers a larger area near the top of the screen!

profile.country.GB.title
TheMaze
Community Team

Hey, did you try testing your TV without any external devices connected?

Also, does this issue appear after switching off the TV from the mains?