Join now - be part of our community!

Sony X90J - Volume Indicator Lag (HDMI-ARC)

profile.country.AU.title
7orque
New

Sony X90J - Volume Indicator Lag (HDMI-ARC)

I'm having about a two second delay between pressing the volume change buttons on my native remote, and when the volume change is reflected on screen by the volume indicator. I have tried two different sound bars, one Sony, and one Bose. Neither were over eARC. Sound sync is absolutely fine, it doesn't lag, but the volume change reflection on screen is abysmally slow.

After an awful chat with Sony online chat support, I've tried:

• Factory reset the device
  • Re configured all sound settings, and tried other options
  • Tested the issue with the internal speakers - volume indicator reflects changes instantly

On top of the delay, it seems that when pressing the button multiple times (ie 5 presses), at least half are missed / skipped.

I know this issue isn't present with the sound bar, as they both worked fine on an LG UP80 and another older Sony Bravia TV. 

This has got me pulling my hair out - TV is brand new, and perfect in every regard, except this damn volume indicator delay. 

I've found existing threads of this problem dating back four years ago:

Having issue with volume change lag - XBR65X850C : bravia (reddit.com)

Volume change lag - Android 6.0 - Bravia Sync - Sony

Is this planned on being fixed in a software update? Or are there any solutions? I'm on the verge of returning this thing and buying a different TV. 

7 REPLIES 7
profile.country.GB.title
Eskimosony

This is going to sound mad but change the batteries in the remote. Equally, switch off everything that could interfere with the signal including WiFi and your House and Mobile phone. Make sure your setting for the remote are Bluetooth, it's in settings on the TV....see if any of that helps. I have had the problem and it was fixed by fresh batteries!

Oh and stupid question, you are connected with an HDMI 2.1 cable in the ARC HDMI socket on the TV right?

profile.country.GB.title
royabrown2
Hero

@7orque @Eskimosony 

Doesn't sound mad to me….

A thing you can try is set your mobile phone to camera mode and look through it at the business end of the remote while you press a few buttons.

The camera will make the infra-red visible, so you can see if the response is bright and clear, or thin and weedy.

And compare the result by doing this again after you put the new batteries in.

My favourite bedtime reading is a Sony product manual…
profile.country.GB.title
Eskimosony

@royabrown2  Hey I have also heard that led light bulbs can interfere! Not sure how but it seems to be the new ones that we have had to replace in our homes here in the UK..but like I say I dont know how they can interfere so maybe it's an old wives tale..

profile.country.GB.title
HannahEd01
Community Team

Hey 7orque, also try resetting the remote ( remote the batteries and press the power for 10 seconds then re-install them).

profile.country.AU.title
7orque
New

Yes I am using the HDMI 2.1 ARC port on the TV, though the cable I'm using is certainly not HDMI 2.x

profile.country.AU.title
7orque
New

I've tried:

• Swapping remote batteries (no effect)
  • Reset remote (no effect)
  • Update remote (no effect)
  • Turned off all the Smart LED lights (no effect)
  • Used diff HDMI cable - not 2.1 (maybe a slight speed increase)

Will try with my 2.1 cable when I can be bothered to unmanage the lot and swap it around. 

profile.country.GB.title
Eskimosony

Er...well that could be the problem!! It most certainly needs to be a HDMI 2.1 cable...but what sort of set up have you got...maybe you should pull everything out and start from scratch...it could be a 3rd party app you have installed and it maybe something else interfering with the signal. Are you sure the remote is set to Bluetooth? If it is, try switching it off and try again etc...like I've said switch everything else off everywhere...I'm sure you will fix it...when you can be bothered!