Join now - be part of our community!

HT-MT500 Sound Bar

SOLVED
profile.country.GB.title
brsteve20

HT-MT500 Sound Bar

Not sure if anyone can help as I think there may be a problem with the unit, but it is less than 2 years old and has started acting up. Very disappointing for such an expensive product. Firstly, I can't connect any devices via Bluetooth anymore. The remote control does not function correctly in that pressing the Home button does not produce anything on the Sony TV screen. When highlighting the HDMI port that the sound bar is connected to via the TVs input button, the screen is blank. Switching on the sound bar with 'TV' as attge default renders the actual TV mute. So many issues that have suddenly just appeared! Batteries in remote are new. HDMI cable is fine. I think I may have to take for repair unless anyone can advise a workaround. Many thanks in advance.

29 REPLIES 29
profile.country.GB.title
Weslamb
Explorer

It’s definitely not an issue with the remote

profile.country.GB.title
Weslamb
Explorer

That link doesn’t work... 

profile.country.GB.title
brsteve20

Thanks for your posts. I scrapped the sound bar in the end and bought a new one. Sony did reimburse me for part of the cost as I think they realised it was a dud model. The fact spare parts are no longer available seems to indicate that too. All the best.

profile.country.GB.title
terhadde
New

I, too, had to give up. No help from Sony whatsoever. Incredibly disappointing.

I did manage to get a contribution for a replacement product from Currys which helped to lessen the pain but still have trouble believing that Sony cares so little about either their customers or their reputation.

Never again.........
profile.country.GB.title
HannahEd01
Community Team

Hey terhadde , sorry to hear that you went through this experience. What seems to be the issue now?

profile.country.GB.title
Weslamb
Explorer

The motherboard is faulty and needs replacing, this is a common fault that i have seen other people complain of, also this model is for sale by other people on ebay with the same issue...
profile.country.GB.title
Weslamb
Explorer

The motherboard is faulty and needs replacing, this is a common fault that i have seen other people complain of, also this model is for sale by other people on ebay with the same issue...

profile.country.GB.title
dblanc42

Same issue as a lot of us here... 

Probably some design fault on the motherboard, affecting a lot of the units. 

I for one had  3 units and all failed. 

If anyone wants spares, I have one of my faulty units in ebay as mentioned previously on this thread... 

Disappointed in Sony's response when I tried to get some help/compensation.

Expected more from the brand.

That said, the product and it's features were spot on for me... So now switched to the HT-ZF9 one, hopefully will last longer...

profile.country.GB.title
terhadde
New

The only issue I am left with is a loss of faith in the brand - especially given that the fault was already well known. If it had been acknowledged and a replacement unit provided then my confidence would have been restored - as it is the actions, or lack of them, leave a very bitter taste and no loyalty to the company at all. Very sad after many years of reliable products and good after-sales service. Some may call it progress................

profile.country.GB.title
Weslamb
Explorer

Really sad, I’ve had little support and just been told to get it repaired at my own cost, not good when it’s obviously and inherent fault, I’d expect more from this brand

Sent from my iPhone