Join now - be part of our community!

STR-DN1080 Randomly turning on

profile.country.GB.title
FarleyUK
Explorer

STR-DN1080 Randomly turning on

Just recently, my DN1080 has started to turn itself on for about 10 seconds and then turn off. However, this seems to happen around every 10 minutes.

Very annoying, and I can't see any reason why. It's connected to several devices, and has Bravia sync to the TV (Sony XE9305). nothing else turns on, just the DN1080.

Please help!

Tags (1)
26 REPLIES 26
profile.country.GB.title
ROBYER1

Same here with TV KD-55XF9005. Was disconnecting devices until I was 100% sure it was just the TV. I even switched off automatic updates in the TV settings to make sure it wasn't switching on to update - it still happens to switch on the AV receiver around 11 AM daily so I am trying to figure out what is causing the tv to wake up then. I have tried turning off remote wakeup for mobile/bluetooth devices to make sure nothing nearby is waking it up but have left CEC auto start on as I want my dn1080 to switch on with the TV still.

profile.country.GB.title
HannahEd01
Community Team

Try turning the auto device on from the Bravia Sync control on your TV and see what happens. Home- Settings- External inputs- Bravia sync. Let me know if it worked.

profile.country.GB.title
ROBYER1

I currently have it switched 'off' on this KD-55XF9005 model of TV I have as I only use it as a PC monitor for my pc which is also connected to the DN1080 so I don't want to use Bravia Sync CEC at all tbh.

I have been diagnosing the connected devices and it is the KD-55XF9005 connected to the PC which is connected to the AV Receiver, only once every few hours, the DN1080 receiver springs into life then switches back off randomly. I have the KD-55XF9005 and a Samsung C27F390 monitor connected to my PC which is also connected to the DN1080 for whenever I am watching movies or 4k gaming with surround sound on my Sony X900F mounted on the wall (which has auto updates turned off and doesn't ever wake the DN1080 by itself).

By my diagnosis, it is the KD-55XF9005 searching automatically for updates and switching on, despite me turning off wifi, bluetooth, remote connected devices and bravia sync in the settings. I have trawled through all the settings to see if any other affect it but none seem to.

What I also noticed is when I am on the PC using Oculus Link cable with my Oculus Quest 2 via SteamVR, the DN1080 waking up causes the KD-55XF9005 tv screen to turn black while windows checks the displays which also causes my VR session to completely crash.

In the coming month I will but a HDMI CEC blocker plug from Amazon and use it with the KD-55XF9005 to see if it resolves the DN1080 turning on randomly.

profile.country.GB.title
HannahEd01
Community Team

Hi Again,

From your last message, I can on;y think of one thing that might still be on, which is the software update (Help-System software update) check if that is turned off.

Also, when this happens, do you leave your TV on standby? Or completely turn it off? As I know there are many levels of the standby mode which where the TV changes the power consumption that might be the reason.

profile.country.GB.title
ROBYER1

I can now confirm the root cause of the issue, it was not my X900F Bravia, it is the older Sony Bravia KDL32W7 I have connected to my PC through my RTX 3080 card which also has the DN1080 connected to the PC through the same card for media viewing.

The CEC from the Sony Bravia KDL32W7 was being passed through the graphics card when the PC was on, onto the DN1080. 

I diagnosed this by unplugging each device for a day while the PC was on until I could replicate.

Since the KDL32W7 is an older model, I wasn't able to stop it from switching on while it was asleep to check for updates, despite disabling wifi and faffing with Eco mode toggles and disabling Bluetooth.

I bought a CEC blocker HDMI plug from Amazon, used that on the KDL32W7, since then the DN1080 has not woken up at all.

profile.country.en_GB.title
EUSupport_EN
Contributor

Hi @easytalk, @FarleyUK,

Try removing one device at a time and let us know which one is passing the wake up signals.

profile.country.GB.title
ROBYER1

Reporting back to let you all know my fix from above is working a treat still using the HDMI CEC blocker on the old Bravia I was using as a pc monitor (passing CEC through the Graphics card to the AV receiver also connected).