Join now - be part of our community!

USB Media Player

profile.country.en_GB.title
sonytjm
Explorer

USB Media Player

On my KDL-32EX703, newly purchased.

The literature says that if I plug in a USB device it will (automatically) start pictures, movies and music using USB playback. It does not. Is there an "autostart" that I need to setup? My 3 makes of USB memory are all recognised but nothing more happens. I put the firmware update on them and it does attempt the update (and says it is not needed). What am I missing?

2 REPLIES 2
sonytjm
Explorer

Following a call from Sony I now understand that only Sony flash drives are recognised for "autostart". For other makes you have to go to the correct media type on the home XMB menu (i.e. Music, Video etc) to find the required content. (Though I notice that a Canon digital camera DOES autostart.)

a.grant
Visitor

I have a similar problem in that photos stored on various makes of USB memory sticks are not recognised on a KDL-40EX703.  Sony's reply to my enquiry reads:

"Having looked into this matter, I can advise that it is likely the  format of the photos causing the issue. Our televisions and Blu-ray  players ares specified to read JPEG type photos that confirm to DCF 2.0 or EXIF 2.21 format. This means essentially, that the photos  are in a format recognised by digital cameras. Transferring the photo to  a PC and editing it such as rotating or cropping can corrupt or remove  the DCF/EXIF data and cause it to not be recognised by the television.  This explains why the photos are recognised when the camera is plugged  in, as the PC has not interfered with the files.

With the above  information in mind, I would recommend that you transfer the photos  straight from the camera to the memory stick without using them on the  PC, and try viewing them again."

Unfortunately that doesn't help as I only used 'drag and drop' to copy the files in the first place - has anyone found a way around this?