Join now - be part of our community!

How to replace DVD drive in SZ61

Naujoks
Visitor

How to replace DVD drive in SZ61

I'd like to replace the DVD drive that's in my SZ61, as I think it's too slow, too noisy and most importantly can't be made to override the country code with programs such as AnyDVD.

While I know how to get the drive out of the machine, I'm not sure how to detach the front piece, which is specific to this laptop, and I also don't know if I can simply put it on to the new drive that I want to buy.

Does anyone know? Thanks!

4 REPLIES 4
Naujoks
Visitor

Nobody knows?

profile.country.en_GB.title
dagoods82
Visitor

I know cos i had a problem with my AR11M, i replaced my DVD drive and i didnt even know that the original mouldings clipped off...

Look at my thread HERE you'll see what i mean!

Good Luck Naujoks.

Naujoks
Visitor

Thanks, Krooza, that's very helpful!
I had a look at the tray and tried to figure out how these clips work, but it's all quite a flimsy affair and I didnt want to pull too hard so as not to break anything. WIth your experience, can you give me a hint what you did? I know your model is different to mine, but it might still be quite similar...

profile.country.en_GB.title
dagoods82
Visitor

Hi Naujoks,

All i did was wiggle the original mouldings and gradually it just came off.. Yes i to was worried that i would break becuase of it being flimsy but patience is the key in a situation like this as i found out... I hope this helps..

Let me know how you get on...