Join now - be part of our community!

Upgrade Hard Drive VAIO XL 201 SATA-II Terabytes

theschnacks
Visitor

Upgrade Hard Drive VAIO XL 201 SATA-II Terabytes

I want to exchange my second internal hard drive in my Vaio xl201 . I currently have a 500gb Seagate as a second HD and would like to exchange it with a 1 Terabyte HD. The origional Master HD (250gb Segate) will not be replaced.

1.) Do anyone know of somekind of limitation of how much Harddrive storage the Vaio can cope with?
2.) Does anyone have any expererience with installaing a Terabyte HD into the xl201?

Cheers guys.

gus

2 REPLIES 2
GavMack
Visitor

Alongside the original 250Gb system drive I have two additional 1tb drives installed internally in my 301 - a Western Digital GP and a Samsung Spinpoint F1 which work fine under Vista. In your case I couldn't see there could be an issue with XP MCE on the 201. The only thing I'd make sure buying tb drives is getting 3 platter over an older generation 4 platter model which make more noise, more heat and current so avoiding overstressing the power supply. The Spinpoint F1 is 3 platter, very quick and much quieter than the norm. The WD-GP is much slower but almost silent so it gets my recommendation for the XL.

profile.country.en_GB.title
C13UGG
Visitor

maybe you have already done this by now,

to give you a little more confidance, I have upgraded my 302 HDD's. I installed 3 1tb HDD's and configured them in a RAID 5. I too reseached the various HDD's and found that the sansung F1 were quiet and didn't run too hot. Think I read on here a few people and had to replace them as they run too hot.

Mine been running absolutly fine for last 6 months. Also runs rapid in the RAID 5.

Chris