Join now - be part of our community!

VGN-CR42S/L - Hard Disk Click Sound - Does any one else have the same problem?

nnchokshi
Visitor

VGN-CR42S/L - Hard Disk Click Sound - Does any one else have the same problem?

After long research, I finally got around purchasing Vaio VGN-CR42S/L last eekend. Initially, was quite impressed with its all glossy features, including this flush style keyboard which I absolutely adore!

However, my joy did not last too long when I noticed the hard disk creates this famous "click" sound every 4-5 seconds or sometimes every 12-15 seconds (generally it is random). I can see from google that a number of people have complained about this problem, both for sony and other laptops.

I wonder if anybody else with CR42 or other CR series laptop has a similar problem, or is it just me? I am talking to Sony tomorrow to know more about, but it seems the initial response will be "it is all normal, just live with it".

I have also seen the long running thread on FW series on this forum which worries me that a similar problem may also exist in my laptop. Do you know whether sony has any firmware updates that can fix this? Apparently Dell is providing something which alters the power management feature, however I can't find that either. There are various other fixes suggested on the internet, including the use of NHC, but I am bit wary of trying those things without knowing whether this is a genuine problem or not?

The hard drive in my laptop is Fujitsu MHY2200BG ATA 200GB 5400 rpm.

Regards

NNC

0 REPLIES 0