Join now - be part of our community!

MEX-BT3800U with Dell Streak

profile.country.en_GB.title
dabower11
New

MEX-BT3800U with Dell Streak

Hi,

I installed the Sony MEX-BT3800U and paired it with my Dell Streak handset. Media streaming works with the Sony set to BT-Audio, and the phone works okay and plays through the speakers.

My phone runs on Google Android, and I get Google SatNav with it.

I can hear the voice guided directions if I set the source to BT-Audio, but cannot during radio or other source playback.

How can I get the SatNav to interrupt the playback?

Thanks

David

3 REPLIES 3
MarkCorden
Visitor

Hi David,

I am fairly sure it is to do with the blue 'ATT' (attenuator) cable that is coming from the back of the unit. This is connected (I'm not sure how) to lower the volume of the music/radio when phone calls are made or voice commands are given.

I have tried to install my identical unit this afternoon and have connected it up ok although there seems to be no power (although I can hear a whirring noise when I first plug it in). There is a Red and an Orange cable that are just loose so I think it is something to do with them. Have you any ideas?

Thanks,

Mark

dabower11
New

Hi Mark,

There is no information at all on the ATT function in the manual, but there is an ATT button on the remote. Might try pressing that and see what happens! Probably just dampens the sound a few dB I am guessing.

The only cable I used in my setup was the one provided in the box. I plugged that into the head unit and I had two connectors that matched the flying leads on my car loom. I don't have additional amps and speakers, other than my original car ones.

I also noticed the whirring noise when I connected the power connector. If it whirrs there must be power, so if your unit is not operating check the head unit facia is properly connected. Make sure the black bezel is the right way round, it only fits properly one way. If its the wrong way it might stop you fitting the facia properly.

Mine powered up okay and works fine for everything except satnav commands (except when souce is set to BT-Audio, only then does SatNav come through).

You should check the installation leaflet that came in the box for what the other cables do, but it is not easy to read.

I'm not sure if the Sony will play music from the Dell Streak via the USB connection. I still need to try that, it'd be good if it did and charged the Dell at the same time. I know the Dell has a strange USB connector on it though that doesn't work in many car chargers so I am not too hopeful on USB connectivity for it via the Sony.

Cheers,

David

dabower11
New

Just to confirm, the Dell Streak DOES operate via the USB port (you have to remember to mount the Streak as a drive though). It even charges the unit whilst playing (amazingly, because many USB chargers will not charge the Streak). It operates very well, I am please with the results. You can use the number keys to set shuffle mode and then change tracks using the remote or head unit controls. I can also confirm the Sony displays the track name/album/artist, you can scroll through them using the disp button. Sound quality is much better via USB than bluetooth.

Google SatNav Voice Guidance will not work in USB mode - as the SD card is mounted as a drive it prevents Google SatNav accessing it's voice synthesis software. SatNav takes you to Android Market to download it but cannot do so - it's already on the phone anyway.

Voice guided SatNav will only work if you set the Sony source to BT-Audio. So you cannot get voice guidance for e.g. whilst listening to the radio. If anyone finds a way around this please let me know!

David