Join now - be part of our community!

X88 Volume adjustment, sound and EQ issues

X88 Volume adjustment, sound and EQ issues

Hi, I seems to have some issues with my new X88 speaker in that;

1. The volume buttons on the top only adjust the input source and not the actual volume.

2. The EQ settings in the SongPal app make no recognisable difference to the sound (they do on my X77).

3. Overall the sound doesn't seem right, it's shallow with very little bass (very noticeable compared to my X77 and X55).

4. I cannot initialise the speaker using the Vol - key and Stands.

I had thought the sound might warm up as the speaker bedded in but there's no change as yet. It has a couple of software updates in the 2 weeks I've had it, no change to these issue though.

Any help/steer would be great. If anyone has an X88 it would good to know if these has depth and bass/took time to bed in.

Thanks

59 REPLIES 59
KN_SWE
Explorer

I have also reported the error to Sony Nordic (Sweden). I will return the unit number 2 and possibly take out a third but I will not upgrade until there is a new software.

KN_SWE
Explorer

There must be many X88 out there that have firmware ver. 1.60.2892 with released date 14-09-2016. Sony must have received many issues about this.

marver3
Explorer

Same problem here. I just bought 2 speakers (SRS-X88). I updated the first and got into this problem. After the problem, I've tried to update the firmware via USB without anysucess so far.

I did no dare to update the second...

Same issue here. Latest upgrade jumbled up the touch buttons making it impossible to do a factory reset. Also only the right speaker is playing at the moment. The unit sound terrible and is unusable at the moment.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi all

Sony has confirmed that for people who are experiencing this issue, the speaker will need to be serviced by a Sony repair centre.

See:

http://services.sony.co.uk/support/en/repair/asc

Cheers

sumbp01
New

So anyone have sent it to repair?

What did they do?

Cheers!

profile.country.GB.title
Hanssluiman
Explorer

I did not send it in for repair. The first two units were simply exchanged by the retailer, and no. 3 has been behaving flawlessly because I did not update the firmware despite there being a constant reminder at the top of the box in bright orange that an update is available. There does not seem to be a way to disable this.

I sent a support request to Sony Customersupport on 16 November explaining that the firmware update that is currently available for download will ruin the X88. However, I am still waiting for their response.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@sumbp01 wrote:

So anyone have sent it to repair?

What did they do?

Cheers!

The service technician will roll-back the firmware to a previous version - which cannot be done by other unfortunately.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Hanssluiman wrote:

I did not update the firmware despite there being a constant reminder at the top of the box in bright orange that an update is available. There does not seem to be a way to disable this.

Im trying to find out if the faulty firmware has been or can be pulled.  Hence no more orange light until the next firmware :slight_smile:

Will post back if/when i get an answer.

profile.country.GB.title
chandalf
Explorer

I bought an x88 off eBay which has clearly been updated with the rogue firmware (the seller did say it wasn't working correctly).

Has anyone here gone down the Service Centre route? If so what was the result? I can't find a service center especialy near me, so I'm reluctant to travel only to find it can't be fixed.

Really surprised that Sony should get this so wrong.