Join now - be part of our community!

battery heat issues with latest system update

profile.country.GB.title
xperiaproiuser

battery heat issues with latest system update

XPERIA PRO-I

Have submitted below to Sony support.  wanted to make others aware to either confirm if they have also updated or avoid if they havent yet.

=======================

installed 61.2.f.0.191 earlier today.

device now immediately heats up in normal (light) use when it never did before so that it is too hot to hold. battey also dropping about 1% every minute or so.

i have the battery care set to always and 80% and usually keep the charge between 50-80% so the battery has always been taken care of. this has literally only started immediately after this last system update.

please investigate this URGENTLY - consider pulling the update so others cannot install it, investigate and send out a new version ASAP.

This has made my phone unusable. I do not want to either burn myself or risk battery/phone damage or even fire! I am therefore powering my phone off.

Again, I repeat that this immediately happened only after the system update.

67 REPLIES 67
profile.country.GB.title
jumpsuit
Expert

Hi all :slight_smile:

Yes @xperiaproiuser I noticed more people posting regarding this 😉.

I'm no technician but I'd certainly say the May updates haven't been a success.

Its also interesting 3 of you are reporting the blank icon also.

I advised the other member in the thread regarding the icon to perform a factory reset or software repair 

so it will be interesting to see if that works or not. 

That will probably be the first thing Support ask you to do regarding these issues so it will be interesting to see if anyone tries this and if there are any results.

profile.country.NL.title
Rduppen

I downloaded a random app for that from the Play Store.

Unfortunately it does not show which process is using the CPU.

P.S. I also have the blank circle app.

profile.country.GB.title
jumpsuit
Expert

Hi all

Has anybody tried the software repair yet?

profile.country.RO.title
AndraOpris
Explorer

Hi, I have just finished the software repair. Here are the steps to follow, as indicated in the Sony case I have opened. Now I'm trying to set up back all the data in my phone, cause everything is being deleted during the repair and then I will be able to figure out if it did good or not. 1st thing to notice is that the blank bullet app is gone. I will keep you posted.

profile.country.RO.title
AndraOpris
Explorer

https://youtu.be/2YQ23k11NFc Here are the steps for the repair 

profile.country.NL.title
Rduppen

@jumpsuit I did a software repair, and it seems to have solved the issues with cpu/heat and battery drain. The blank circle app is gone as well.

I'll monitor the coming days if the problem stays away.

It always costs multiple hours to do a software repair, with all the app settings that need to be (manually) restored. Not liking it. 

profile.country.GB.title
jumpsuit
Expert

@Rduppen  thanks for letting us know, that's excellent news!

Yeah, please  keep us posted :slight_smile:  

profile.country.GB.title
xperiaproiuser

Just to update you all with my own laborious progress with Sony Support -

Having provided them with my own situation plus all the information in this thread, they've asked me to use the Sony Support app, click the three dots at the top and Send Feedback.

Unfortunately despite being able to decline sending personal information multiple times (and indeed at the beginning it is clearly marked "(optional)"), in order to actually send Feedback you must Allow to send personal information, which I am not prepared to do since it doesn't specify exactly what is being sent.

If anyone else wishes to do so in order to help Sony diagnose this issue then by all means please do!

profile.country.GB.title
xperiaproiuser

@Rduppen 

That's "good" news that the software repair seems to have fixed the situation.

It's bad news because it seems to be a lengthy procedure and requires backing up of data and setting everything back up again.  Looks like that's my weekend gone....

Sony really should be removing the systems update and looking in to this.  Surely they can't want their user base (or even some portion of their user base) having to go through this?

profile.country.GB.title
bozuk2021
Explorer

I'm getting heat issues and massive battery drain. Tried everything, only started happening after update so hope sony sort this issue.