Join now - be part of our community!

1TB card for XZ1?

CharlesJ
Visitor

1TB card for XZ1?

Recently I read on gsmarena.com that the Sony Xperia XZ1 can hold a 1TB memory card. But is well known the XZ1 originally has a maximum of 256gb memory card. Could this be an error? Can the XZ1 hold more than 256gb? Mine is versionG8341. Thanks for your comments.

6 REPLIES 6
Jonas
Master

Hi @CharlesJ, sorry for the late reply.

The supported size of an SD card for Xperia devices that is stated in specifications or white paper is the size where quality and performance can be guaranteed. It may however be possible to use larger SD cards, but in such cases quality and performance cannot be guaranteed.

I personally haven't tried with an SD card that is bigger than 256 GB, however if you have the possibility to try with a 1 GB SD card before purchasing it, or if you can return it if it doesn't work properly that would be good. I know the 1 GB SD cards are very expensive so it's not very fun to buy one and not being able to use it.

I understand that it doesn't answer your question fully, but that is the information that I have available.

CharlesJ
Visitor

Hello @Jonas

Thanks for your comment. Indeed, you gave me an insight into this matter. Because isn't worth it to buy an expensive micro sd card to then have it not working properly on my phone. Thank you very much again for your help.

Jonas
Master

Hi again @CharlesJ!

You're very welcome and I do really wish I had a 1 TB card to try with so I could give you a definite yes or no answer, but I don't have any at the office and they are still pretty rare, due to the cost vs space ratio is still a bit to high compared to a 256 GB SD card (at least here in the Nordics).

Have a nice day! Slightly_smiling_Face

valycarrolito
Visitor

@Jonas wrote:

Hi @CharlesJ, sorry for the late reply.

The supported size of an SD card for Xperia devices that is stated in specifications or white paper is the size where quality and performance can be guaranteed. It may however be possible to use larger SD cards, but in such cases quality and performance cannot be guaranteed.

I personally haven't tried with an SD card that is bigger than 256 GB, however if you have the possibility to try with a 1 GB SD card before purchasing it, or if you can return it if it doesn't work properly that would be good. I know the 1 GB SD cards are very expensive so it's not very fun to buy one and not being able to use it.

I understand that it doesn't answer your question fully, but that is the information that I have available.

Because isn't worth it to buy an expensive micro sd card to then have it not working properly on my phone. Thank you very much again for your help.

Jonas
Master

@valycarrolito, I understand that and that is why I mentioned that if you are allowed to return it and get the money back, that is the only time it would be worth to buy one and test, otherwise it will just be a waste of money and time.

Have a nice weekend!

profile.country.EE.title
Caesius
New

I had a new phone - a Samsung S21fe with a 1TB SD Card - but the screen cracked. So, I may need to go back to my XZ1. Thus, I was directed here when I searched Google for using the 1TB in the XZ1. 

Sadly, the charge port of my Xperia XZ1 is broken (wouldn't be a problem if it had wireless charging, but alas, no wireless charging). I can get it to charge after fiddling with it for ten minutes or more.

After one search I read that you can get the 1TB card to be utilized as the internal storage. I am not knowledgeable enough to explain how. 

I realize this thread is 4 years old at this point. But if I am successful, I will post that here and explain how.  

I hope others will do the same if they are successful. 

Thx