Join now - be part of our community!

NEX-5 Firmware Upgrade version 3 Manual Aperture Control ?

profile.country.GB.title
GreggLonewolf

NEX-5 Firmware Upgrade version 3 Manual Aperture Control ?

Hi Guys

I've just purchased a NEX-5 and upgraded to version 3 of the firmware which, apparently, allows

Maintaining the aperture setting in the movie recording mode
HD video can now be shot while maintaining a constant aperture setting.

I've tried shooting video but as I pan around light and dark areas of the room, the aperture appears to adjust automatically (quite the opposite of what is promised with the new firmware update).

I am using the camera in 'Manual' mode, setting the shutter speed and aperture before starting shooting, but as soon as I press the 'Movie' button the camera seems to go into auto mode and adjusts the shutter and / or aperture automatically as light levels change in the frame.

Please help. I just want to be able to shoot video with full manual control over shutter and aperture - AS PROMISED IN THE WORDING OF THE NEW FIRMWARE UPGRADE.

Thanks in advance.

Gregg.

2 REPLIES 2
profile.country.en_GB.title
StartTheCar
Contributor

Hello

The link below is for the notes for this firmware update. On page 6 it explains that this feature is only available with aperture priority and background defocus modes. 

http://di.update.sony.net/NEX/ver3_manual_gb.pdf

My obvious concern is that while the above PDF is correct we have published some notes elsewhere that are stating something else.  Can you confirm where you read it would work in manual mode?

Many thanks

Lee

profile.country.GB.title
GreggLonewolf

Hi Lee

Thanks for the information - I had already seen the manual for version 3 and - obviously incorrectly - assumed that if it worked in Aperture Priority mode that it would also work in Manual mode.

As you know, Aperture Priority mode allows manual control over the Aperture but other features, such as shutter speed, are then adjusted automatically by the camera to capture the best exposure (in the camera's opinion).

Likewise, if I use Shutter Priority mode, I can manually set the Shutter speed but the camera automatically alters the exposure by adjusting the aperture.

Therefore I always shoot video in Manual mode, where I can manually set the ISO, Shutter Speed and Aperture and as I pan across the light and dark areas in the room all the settings remain constant (as shown by the settings displayed at the bottom of the screen).

However, as soon I press the Movie button the camera seems to go into some sort of automatic exposure control: as I pan across light and dark areas the camera automatically adjusts the exposure.

Unfortunately, as the information on the display disappears when in Movie mode there is no way to tell what is causing this exposure adjustment (aperture, shutter speed, or some other factor).

Even when I select manual Exposure Compensation the image still gets lighter and darker as I pan across light and dark areas.

The LCD brightness is set to manual, so it is not simply the screen adjusting to ambient light - besides when I play back the image the exposure continues to change.

Something in the camera seems to be automatically adjusting the exposure of the image but I do not know what this would be.

Either way, it effectively negates the ability to manually control the aperture whilst shooting video.

If there is any light you could shed on this matter (excuse the pun) I would be most grateful.

Alternatively, are there plans to allow full manual exposure in a future firmware update.

It would be a shame to see the NEX held back by something as simple as lack of exposure control in Movie mode.

I have said elsewhere that the NEX series has the potential to be a Canon 7D beater, but without user controls such as this, then it will not be adopted by the users of such devices.

I hope you can help in this matter and look forward to hearing from you.

Thanks in advance

Gregg.