Join now - be part of our community!

Tripod?

SOLVED
profile.country.en_GB.title
SpecialK22
Visitor

Tripod?

I want to buy a tripod for my Sony Alpha 290 DSLR. Do I need to get a specific one? If so, which one!?

Tags (4)
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
profile.country.CH.title
stone69
Contributor

Connection wise there should be no problems they are standardised. It's more a question of what do you plan to do with it and how big/heavy it can/should be.

As Gregg has correctly mentioned if you want to shoot movies than a tripod with liquid head is very nice. It allows to do very smooth moves. On the downside, these tripod are typically rather heavy and expensive. I guess you figure out what you want to do with it and then I would also recommend to go an try a few tripods, to make sure that they are easy to use, that the extension locks for the legs are secure and easy to use and also handles on the head are good to use. Check also how fast you are able to level out the tripod in uneven terrain. Some have these "bubbles" that allow easy levelling.

Personally I use several tripods. I have a small, light "table-top" tripod which is easy to carry on, but has of course limited possibilities, I use also a single leg "tripod". It's OK for still pictures, but no good for video shooting. Still easy to take and setup fast. Then I'm a proud owner  :smileygrin: of a Manfrotto tripod, which I mainly use for videos. It's very heavy to take along (looks like you are carrying a golf bag), but the head and the overall stability and usability is excellent.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
profile.country.GB.title
GreggLonewolf

Depends if your planning on shooting video or stills.

If the former (video) be sure to get a fluid head tripod.

Not sure where you live but I just got a tripod from Calumet in the UK which is a clone of the Manfrotto 501 head and legs but half the price at £250.

That may be a little above your price range, so look at the Libec range for a cheaper version.

Hope this helps.

Gregg.

profile.country.CH.title
stone69
Contributor

Connection wise there should be no problems they are standardised. It's more a question of what do you plan to do with it and how big/heavy it can/should be.

As Gregg has correctly mentioned if you want to shoot movies than a tripod with liquid head is very nice. It allows to do very smooth moves. On the downside, these tripod are typically rather heavy and expensive. I guess you figure out what you want to do with it and then I would also recommend to go an try a few tripods, to make sure that they are easy to use, that the extension locks for the legs are secure and easy to use and also handles on the head are good to use. Check also how fast you are able to level out the tripod in uneven terrain. Some have these "bubbles" that allow easy levelling.

Personally I use several tripods. I have a small, light "table-top" tripod which is easy to carry on, but has of course limited possibilities, I use also a single leg "tripod". It's OK for still pictures, but no good for video shooting. Still easy to take and setup fast. Then I'm a proud owner  :smileygrin: of a Manfrotto tripod, which I mainly use for videos. It's very heavy to take along (looks like you are carrying a golf bag), but the head and the overall stability and usability is excellent.