Join now - be part of our community!

I have a problem finalizing on th

SOLVED
profile.country.en_GB.title
joadolma
Visitor

I have a problem finalizing on th

I have a problem on my DVD310E camcorder.  After finishing recording the message 'movie recording disabled' appeared.  When I try and finalize the disc the message 'cannot use request function using this media' appears, and i can't view the recording using the camcorder.  Can anyone help?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Mick2011
New

That's a little odd, as the camera will generally display the error "cannot perform requested function using this media" if you try to finalize a DVD-RW (which does not require finalizing) or unfinalize a DVD-R. You should, however, be able to replay the movie on the camera desipte either of these.

There are several likely issues: it is important that you plug the camera into an AC outlet before attempting to finalize; you should also avoid moving the camera while the operation is in progess. It is possible that there is a fault with (or damage to) that particular disk, which would be unfortunate but it does happen.

If you find this happens even when you change disks, there may be an internal fault with the camera and should contact Sony Customer Services to get it rectified. This post has a link and a phone number you can use to help you diagnose the problem and, if necessary, organise a repair.

Best wishes

Mick

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Mick2011
New

Hi joadolma, welcome to the Sony Forums.

There are a couple of 'expected' errors similar to those you mention, which might occur with some media, but we need to know a little more about the problem.

Can you tell me if you're recording to DVD (or MemoryStick) the format (DVD-R, DVD+RW, DVD-RW) and the brand of media you're using (Sony, TDK, etc) ?

It would also be useful to know if your recording plays back on another device, ie if the playback issue is with the camera only, or with all media players.

Thanks

Mick

joadolma
Visitor

Thanks for the reply,

We are recording on a Sony DVD-R .

We can't play the movie back on the camera or carry out finalizing.

Hope that this information helps in solving our issues.

Mick2011
New

That's a little odd, as the camera will generally display the error "cannot perform requested function using this media" if you try to finalize a DVD-RW (which does not require finalizing) or unfinalize a DVD-R. You should, however, be able to replay the movie on the camera desipte either of these.

There are several likely issues: it is important that you plug the camera into an AC outlet before attempting to finalize; you should also avoid moving the camera while the operation is in progess. It is possible that there is a fault with (or damage to) that particular disk, which would be unfortunate but it does happen.

If you find this happens even when you change disks, there may be an internal fault with the camera and should contact Sony Customer Services to get it rectified. This post has a link and a phone number you can use to help you diagnose the problem and, if necessary, organise a repair.

Best wishes

Mick