Join now - be part of our community!

Why are some videos smaller than others?

SOLVED
profile.country.en_GB.title
runedog
Visitor

Why are some videos smaller than others?

Hello,

Stupid question, but some of my Bloggie videos come out with black sides and are not full screnn if I'm making sense?

Hope I've explained this properly as I'm a beginner with the Bloggie?

Thank you for any/all replies.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
blaireau_photo
Visitor

Hello again,

Thanks for replying with your model information - I assume that you mean the MHS-SF2 :slight_smile:

The most important thing to do to avoid the black lines is to always record video when holding the camera in portrait mode (horizontally). This is explained in more detail on page 20 of the manual which can also be downloaded here:

http://pdf.crse.com/manuals/4275040121.pdf

Also, there is some more information about video quality on page 52 (the settings menu for this can be reached be pressing 'Menu' and then by scrolling to 'Movie Size'). To get the best possible picture, I would recommend choosing one of the top three options as although they will each take up more of the internal memory than the next step down, if you intend to view your videos on a larger screen you will notice the difference in quality between each format. If you are looking to keep it simple and just have one choice that will perform well in all circumstances, I would recommend the second option (HD Sports 1280x720 60p).

I hope this information helps,

Simon

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
blaireau_photo
Visitor

Hello runedog - welcome to the Sony Forums :slight_smile:

Depending on your model of bloggie, if videos are set to 4:3 recording and you then try to view this on a widescreen TV/monitor, the black lines may be added i.e. this happens when you watch regular TV if you tell a Sky box or similar that you have a full widescreen TV but you don't want older format videos to be stretched to fill the whole screen.

If you reply with your exact bloggie model number, I can look into the menu settings that you need to consider when trying to view videos in their natural format.

Thanks,

Simon

runedog
Visitor

Hello Simon,

My Bloggie is the Bloggie Duo, MHF-SF2

Its nothing to do with a TV as it shows on some videos while in the Bloggie software. I take my videos into various video editing software I have and then upload to either Youtube or Facebook.

Thanks very much for your help

Graham

blaireau_photo
Visitor

Hello again,

Thanks for replying with your model information - I assume that you mean the MHS-SF2 :slight_smile:

The most important thing to do to avoid the black lines is to always record video when holding the camera in portrait mode (horizontally). This is explained in more detail on page 20 of the manual which can also be downloaded here:

http://pdf.crse.com/manuals/4275040121.pdf

Also, there is some more information about video quality on page 52 (the settings menu for this can be reached be pressing 'Menu' and then by scrolling to 'Movie Size'). To get the best possible picture, I would recommend choosing one of the top three options as although they will each take up more of the internal memory than the next step down, if you intend to view your videos on a larger screen you will notice the difference in quality between each format. If you are looking to keep it simple and just have one choice that will perform well in all circumstances, I would recommend the second option (HD Sports 1280x720 60p).

I hope this information helps,

Simon

runedog
Visitor

Bless you Simon, I appreciate that. I actually came to the realisation of the first part of your answer this morning but thank you for verifying this for me.

I didn't realise the 'movie size' bit though and that has helped alot and I sincerely thank you again my friend.

Best regards,

Graham

blaireau_photo
Visitor

You're welcome - the issue of which way you hold the camera tends to be something that just 'clicks' all of a sudden :slight_smile:

Happy filming,

Simon