Join now - be part of our community!

CAMERA CARD TOO SMALL FOR MY LAPTOP

SOLVED
profile.country.en_GB.title
shadowlover
Visitor

CAMERA CARD TOO SMALL FOR MY LAPTOP

Hi, any help you can give will be MUCH appreciated - I am a complete novice with digital cameras and laptops.

I have a sony DSCW55 cybershot camera with a photo card measuring approx. 30mm x 20mm.  This seems too small for my laptop, the slot on which is approx. 24mm wide.  Is there a simple device I can buy, which would "carry" the narrow card into the laptop slot?  I would prefer not to have to  use an external device and cable if possible.  Have tried contacting Sony on their web page but no joy from them.  Thanks in anticipation of your help.....

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
blaireau_photo
Visitor

Hi shadowlover - welcome to the Sony Forums :slight_smile:

The memory card for the DSC-W55 is Memory Stick Pro Duo format and quite often, this particular design of card will not have a dedicated card slot on a laptop computer. However, you can purchase a USB card reader for under £10 such as this one:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00109Y2DQ/ref=asc_df_B00109Y2DQ5392793?smid=A2N57WLU4O3FP0&tag=googlecou...

These devices can be used with a huge variety of card formats from all sorts of devices, you may even be able to find a cheaper one which has fewer slots on it, there are various options available to you by googling 'USB Memory Card Reader'.

Thanks,

Simon

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
blaireau_photo
Visitor

Hi shadowlover - welcome to the Sony Forums :slight_smile:

The memory card for the DSC-W55 is Memory Stick Pro Duo format and quite often, this particular design of card will not have a dedicated card slot on a laptop computer. However, you can purchase a USB card reader for under £10 such as this one:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00109Y2DQ/ref=asc_df_B00109Y2DQ5392793?smid=A2N57WLU4O3FP0&tag=googlecou...

These devices can be used with a huge variety of card formats from all sorts of devices, you may even be able to find a cheaper one which has fewer slots on it, there are various options available to you by googling 'USB Memory Card Reader'.

Thanks,

Simon

Bobbi1146
New

I am really struggling here, I used my Sony Cyber shot DSC-S590 camera for our Silver Wedding party, I had not used it for a while and I wanted good quality pictures (10.1 mega pixels )

I can see them on my camera and it has the memory card symbol whilst veiwing them.

However, connecting by cable from camera to computer doesn't show so I bought a brands new USB 2.0 SD/MMC card reader and still it doesn't show, I am very upset as these photos are very special, what can I do ?

profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Hi Bobbi1146 and welcome.

I can't find any details of that camera on the Sony website.  Please check the camera type - or was it bought abroad?

Check the type of memory card.  Does it actually say SD or MMC? 

Or does it say MemoryStick?  The latter is different and cannot be used in a SD Card reader.

:thinking:

EDIT:  You probably have a DSC-S950 and this uses a Memory Stick™ Duo or Memory Stick PRO Duo™ memory card.  You need a MS Duo or a multi card adapter to read these cards.  You can transfer the images using a USB cable - have a look in your manual (Pages 70 to 76).  You can download the manual here: -

http://pdf.crse.com/manuals/4121439111.pdf

:wink:

Bobbi1146
New

Hi, thanks for reply, I have the correct multi card reader bought from Amazon along with a new USB cable, the card reader says SD/MMC  on the outer and yes, it is a DSC-S950 camera Blencogo

kindest regards

Bobbi

Bobbi1146
New

perhaps I need a disk , I did have one but it's lost
Bobbi1146
New

I ahve read up on stuff all weekend, I may have a corrupt card therfore would have lost all my photos, I can see them but can't retrieve them

Bobbi

cestrians
New

Hi, I don't know if you already found a solution but a colleague had the same problem and I believe she managed to retrieve the images from the card by inserting it in a Sony Walkman and uploading them to the computer from there.

Hope that helps.

Ynos29xx.
New

My W270 also uses this narrow 'Memory Stick PRO Duo, but to get over the incompatibility with the card slot on my lap-top I use the cable which came with the camera. This slots into a USB on your PC. After connecting, you then go into 'this PC' and THEN turned on the camera . . . .