Join now - be part of our community!

HXD DVD recorder loses all channels when switched off

SOLVED
profile.country.en_GB.title
martinlest
Visitor

HXD DVD recorder loses all channels when switched off

Hi. My HXD870 no longer stores digital channels. I have rescanned using the digital tuner and once it has found the 130+ channels things are OK again - until the recorder is switched off next time. Then, once again, although all the stations are there on the TV, the recorder reports 'Channel not in Service' across the board (or 'No signal'). Again I retune and all channels are back, but are all lost again as soon as the recorder is switched off.

Has the tuner broken? Or is there, as with a PC, a user-replaceable lithium type battery inside that powers the tuner memory when the machine is off (just a wild guess!)? Is this fixable does anyone know?

To be honest this is my 6th. HDD DVD recorder (not all of which have been Sony) - all my previous ones broke down for some reason or another and now this one too: I am beginning to think that either I am jinxed or the technology just isn't reliable. They are treated with kid gloves by me and my family, so I don't think the problem is with the 'user'.. Doubt I'll 'invest' in another if this one has also become unusable..

Whatever, advice appreciated. Have searched past posts on this subject and found one or two that seem the same, but no answer.

Thanks.

Martin

35 REPLIES 35
Truman25
Explorer

Hello, you seem to be very knowledgeable , please can you look at my post please?

profile.country.IT.title
rooobb
Expert

If you have an rdrhxdx70 recorder this is the link to download the firmware http://download.sony-europe.com/PUB/HAV/FW/sr07S170.mem

Be sure to check the actual model and installation procedure for your device.

Truman25
Explorer

Thank you but I've got a RDR HXD870  have you got the link for that one please?

profile.country.IT.title
rooobb
Expert

That's the firmware for hxd 770 870 970 and 1070. I've got the link for the direct download but you go through the support site you'll get also all the info on how to install it

Truman25
Explorer

Thanks for your reply, I've tried this but Adobe will not download the file! I'm not very good at this sort of thing, any idea how else to download it's? Thanks

profile.country.IT.title
rooobb
Expert

Adobe?!?  You don't have to open the file...  you have  to save it on your Windows computer and then burn it on a CD. If you don't know what i'm talking about please check with some friend of yours and ask for help :slight_smile:

profile.country.GB.title
Glassman88
Explorer

Hi. I appreciate this is a very old thread but this has just happened to my 870 I have tried the reset suggested and it has made no difference and wondered if you have any other suggestions, I have the 1.70 firmware installed as this happened shortly after I bought the unit, one other thing channels 1 to 10 don't go and I assume that's because there's no change to them.

profile.country.IT.title
rooobb
Expert

Don't really understand which problems you have, but keep in mind that this device tuner will stop working (or maybe in UK is already gone) once DVBT2 will be deployed...

profile.country.GB.title
Glassman88
Explorer

Thanks for the quick reply, the problem is twofold,

1. When I retune it finds all the new channels OK but when I switch off they all vanish except Channels 1 to 10 the others revert back to the previous list all of which have moved to new frequencies.

2. When I try to reset (hold the power and stop buttons down) the display just shows D001 (or whichever channel is selected) and the clock, and never changes no matter how long I hold them down. I disconnect from the mains for a good 5 minuets switch back on and the unit is still functioning as normal no set up required. and the firmwear 1.70 is still showing. Am I correct in assuming if the reset works it will be necessary to reinstall 1.70 again or does the reset not delete this?

profile.country.IT.title
rooobb
Expert

Can you confirm you are pressing the buttons together and on the deck not the remote?
The firmware remain the same after the reset