Join now - be part of our community!

HXD DVD recorder loses all channels when switched off

SOLVED
profile.country.en_GB.title
martinlest
Visitor

HXD DVD recorder loses all channels when switched off

Hi. My HXD870 no longer stores digital channels. I have rescanned using the digital tuner and once it has found the 130+ channels things are OK again - until the recorder is switched off next time. Then, once again, although all the stations are there on the TV, the recorder reports 'Channel not in Service' across the board (or 'No signal'). Again I retune and all channels are back, but are all lost again as soon as the recorder is switched off.

Has the tuner broken? Or is there, as with a PC, a user-replaceable lithium type battery inside that powers the tuner memory when the machine is off (just a wild guess!)? Is this fixable does anyone know?

To be honest this is my 6th. HDD DVD recorder (not all of which have been Sony) - all my previous ones broke down for some reason or another and now this one too: I am beginning to think that either I am jinxed or the technology just isn't reliable. They are treated with kid gloves by me and my family, so I don't think the problem is with the 'user'.. Doubt I'll 'invest' in another if this one has also become unusable..

Whatever, advice appreciated. Have searched past posts on this subject and found one or two that seem the same, but no answer.

Thanks.

Martin

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
profile.country.IT.title
rooobb
Expert

Have a look at previous thread (and all in th etop section regarding retuning after switchover). This is a known buf of the fw (be sure in any case you have the latest installed 1.70). to solve it you have to reset the recorder (no disk on tray, push stop and off button on the deck together, unplug from power for 1-2 minutes, than proceed with the easy setup procedure). It will work again.

View solution in original post

35 REPLIES 35
profile.country.IT.title
rooobb
Expert

Have a look at previous thread (and all in th etop section regarding retuning after switchover). This is a known buf of the fw (be sure in any case you have the latest installed 1.70). to solve it you have to reset the recorder (no disk on tray, push stop and off button on the deck together, unplug from power for 1-2 minutes, than proceed with the easy setup procedure). It will work again.

martinlest
Visitor

Sorry, what is the 'previous thread' - the previous thread in this section doesn't appear relevant to this problem? Could you post the URL to the thread you mean please?

Thanks,

M

Later: I guess you mean this one, but what is the 'top section'? Maybe you meant a different thread? Thanks again.

https://sony.co.uk/discussions/message/763537#763537

martinlest
Visitor

OK, I remember now that I had already installed the fw update (1.70) so resetting the recorder has fixed the problem: channels now still there when I turn off and back on..

Thanks!

M

profile.country.IT.title
rooobb
Expert

Sorry for having written my answer so bad, but I'm glad you understood it and solve the problem. You may have still problems in the future, expecially if you need to retune completely the channel list or if your recorder got stuck with "Update" on the display: just redo the reset procedure and it'll be fixed again.

martinlest
Visitor

Will do. Thanks...

maseage39
Explorer

I too have the same problem, the channels will not stay in the memory. I do a channel scan and they appear to be there but if I turn the machine off they disappear. I have tried the above suggestion of pressing the stop and off switch together, disconnecting then a rescan, but it has not worked. I have disconnected every cable and reconnected, this has not worked either. I have another HDD recorder which is working OK. We have not yet had the digital switch over, and I have freeview.  The recorder is a 3 year old HDX1095.  Any suggestions??

tuftyone
Visitor

I have the same problem with my HXD870 (4 plus yrs old) and haven't been able to cure it. I installed 1.70 over a year ago. Since then it had only the occasional loss of all channels (and hadn't happened for several months), which easy set up then put right.This was until the London switch over, when it started to lose all channels again. The time before channels were lost again kept reducing until now they all go as soon as recorder is switched off. I had been tuned to Dover before the London switchover, because that gave the only acceptable signal. But on retuning both TV and recorder in April, it changed me over to London. I've tried your solution several times but it doesn't work for me. Any thoughts would be welcome. Am I pressing the right 2 buttons - No 1 and 7 as shown in the Operating Instructions page 165 (front panel) before disconnected from power for several minutes?

profile.country.IT.title
rooobb
Expert

Buttons are the right ones and in any case it should give you a messagein the front panel like "reset" and when switched on the easy setup should start automatically.

tuftyone
Visitor

Many thanks for that. I'm fairly sure now that I'm doing the recommended actions. But still I am getting no success.

On switch off, the messages on front panel are: 'PR1' followed by 'power off' (or may be the other way round). On switch on after disconnection, the messages are: 'welcome' then 'PR1' then 'Easy set up'. I go through 'autoscan', 'do not set tv auto channel' and at end select 'finish set up'. Channels seem to remain while recorder is powered up. Every time recorder is switched off, all channels are lost - whether disconnected from power for 2 or 20 minutes.

Maybe mine's a different problem from martinlest's?