Join now - be part of our community!

sony RDR-HXD970

sony RDR-HXD970

I have replaced the HDD IN MY Sony desk top box, and need to format the HDD, but am not sure how to do that.

I may need a service remote (which I do not have) are they available? and is there another way of completing the format?

6 REPLIES 6
profile.country.GB.title
Mooly01
Contributor

You need the service remote, there is no other way to do this. The good news is that there are some universal remotes for sale that work well. I bought one of these in 2016 and it seems they are still available. You need to be sure that the remote has the buttons 'ESC' and 'PRun'.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00D3MX81A/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 

1/ With the replacement HDD fitted apply mains to the recorder and press the front power on button. You will see error code E01.

2/ Turn off with the front panel button.

3/ Now press ESC on the remote followed by PRun (press one after the other, not together).

4/ Formatting begins. WAIT until 'B Complete' shows on the display. This may take up to 10 minutes.

5/ Switch on with the front power button... and that's it.

Note... some HDD's are more suited to this than others. What you want is a drive designed for continuous data flow rather than a supposed high speed drive. Speed is not important, steady read and write is. Use what you have but if you experience any freezing etc then look for a more suitable drive. Toshiba drives gave problems for me. The Seagate 'Pipeline' drives (back in 2016/17) with their lower than usual spindle speed are optimised for this type of use and have proved superb in daily use.

Screenshot 2021-01-31 145006.jpg

profile.country.GB.title
HannahEd01
Community Team

Hey, the compatible remotes are (RMT-D248P) & (RMT-D250P). Try searching online for those first although I doubt they might be still available (Who knows \ ._. /

The steps for the format are on the manual page 128: https://www.sony.com/electronics/support/res/manuals/3113/31137601M.pdf

profile.country.GB.title
bazzajones
New

Will try that when I return home

profile.country.GB.title
Mooly01
Contributor

• As long as it is just a faulty HDD then a replacement and formatting will be fine. You can go up to 1Tb (but no higher) for these recorders.  
profile.country.GB.title
bazzajones
New

I have managed to sort out the problem with the hard drive using the service remote now it works ok thank you

profile.country.GB.title
Mooly01
Contributor

Excellent. Pleased to hear you have it sorted.