Join now - be part of our community!

DNS & dlna issues with W5810

profile.country.GB.title
thekent

DNS & dlna issues with W5810

Im hoping someone on here might be able to help me ... I am the fairer sex so I require responses in "simple" terms lol :smileygrin:

For the 1st time since I purchased my KDL-37W5810 I have plugged it into my router.  First hope was to be able to use iPlayer (TV has Freesat built in) and second hope to be able to use it for media files.

I am getting the error message "DNS Server not responding" and "please check whether the router's DNS setting is correct."  My ISP has advised that if it wasn't correct then I wouldn't even have an internet connection.

Im unable to get iPlayer nor media files.

I have a Sony Vaio laptop that is dlna enabled so this isn't an issue.
Have plugged TV into router by ethernet cable.
When I checked a couple of weeks ago the software of my TV was up to date.

Any advice would be very appreciated as Im not sure what Im doing wrong here:smileyconfused:?

Lisa

6 REPLIES 6
profile.country.GB.title
thekent

Just as an addition to the above.

I have done a server diagnositics and it has come back with:

Owner- PC - Vaio Media Plus     Succeeded
Owner-PC: Owner:  Failed

:thinking:

profile.country.en_GB.title
Catmambo
Contributor

Is uPnP enabled on your router? Probably need to login to it and enable it manually? The login details for your router are normally supplied by your ISP. This basically should then enable the devices to see each other..

profile.country.GB.title
thekent

I have logged into my router  (its a Thomson router supplied by Plusnet).

On the  "Home Network" page there is a drop down tab under "Connection Sharing" called Game or Service.

Under this tab it has selected "Another Bitrate Client ABC"
I cannot see uPnP on this list.  The list contains items such as "Aliens v Predator,"  "Direct X"  or "XBox" amongst others.  Am I looking in the correct place as  uPnP isn't listed :smileyblush::smileyblush:

profile.country.GB.title
thekent

Scrap my message above, I have just found the page that says  "UPnP Enabled"

So in answer to your question: Yes it is 

profile.country.en_GB.title
Catmambo
Contributor

Hmm, tough one. Its probably something as daft as a checkbox  setting somewhere which  is stopping the TV seeing the router. Do you have access to another router or could you test the TV on another connection somewhere? Really need to identify where the probelm is.

profile.country.GB.title
thekent

Sorry, I forgot to add that since yesterday, when I run the server diagnositics test on the TV it succeeeds at identifying my Vaio laptop.

Now however, when I run the diagnostic test on my Vaio it says "Failure."   :thinking:   Very strange :thinking:

I am now able to access some of my media files on my Bravia but not all of them.
Still no BBC iPlayer.

Unfortunately, I do not have another router to test (the others I have are faulty).

Thank you for your patience:smileycool: