Join now - be part of our community!

Updates for the KDL-xxW5810 series of Bravia

profile.country.en_GB.title
carglo
New

Updates for the KDL-xxW5810 series of Bravia

Does anyone know of any slated updates to get the Internet widgets for the above series of Bravia networked televisions.  They seem to have been put on the "back-burner" with all activity put into the BIV ready TV's.  Come on Sony... how about some support for this set of TV's. Please don't forget about us networked TV owners too!!

I am sure there would be a lot of disgruntled W58x0 owners if Freesat hadn't brought in the BBC i-Player options... and the other planned offering via the same route... providing your internet connections is fast enough of course 😉

3 REPLIES 3
Catmambo
Contributor

Hi Carglo - unfortunately no plans to update the older widgets. Simply the silcon and software used on those devices was deployed prior to the roll out of BRAVIA Internet Video and so its technically incompatible thus not simply a case of rolling out an update patch.

If you are really keen on the IP functionality however, you could look at getting a BDP-S370 Blu-ray or SMP-N100 Netbox, which offer all the new connected services for a fraction of the price of your original TV which is still a great model!

thanks

carglo
New

Thanks for the info eduzzel - much appreciated. 

There seems to be some issues as to what video streaming can be handled via the network port compared to the USB port - i.e, there are differences between the file types for either port.  is there any definitive info available or a full review anywhere on this box yet?

Is this limitation/ functionality also the same for the BDP-S370?

Thanks in advance.

Catmambo
Contributor

I haven't seen one and because of the nuances between codecs and encodes its very hard to provide. So instead, a lot of users seem to be using Mezzmo as their DLNA streaming software which seems to take a lot of the guesswork out.

Playback via USB definitely offers slightly better compatibility. Indeed the SMP-N100 can read .mkv of NTFS hard drives AFAIK.

thanks