Join now - be part of our community!

Improving BT Broadband Speed

profile.country.en_GB.title
gyron1
Explorer

Improving BT Broadband Speed

I presently have a BT Voyager 2091 Wireless ADSL Router which is connected to my laptop via an Ethernet cable. For the purposes of completeness my wife’s computer, in a different room, is connected to the Router by a wireless link.

During a recent BT speed test my results were 3776 kbps D/S and 448 kbps U/S. The IP profile for my line was reported to be 3000 kbps whilst the Actual IP throughput achieved during the test was said to be 2790 kbps – I have to confess to not knowing what these latter figures refer to.

I have read somewhere that these speeds can be improved by connecting my laptop to the Router via a wireless link rather than the Ethernet cable is this true? If so what sort of improvement could I expect?

Alternatively, could an improvement be made by upgrading my Router, if so what proven recommendations exist please?

Thank you for any help you may be able to provide in improving the speed of my connection/internet usage.

Gyron

2 REPLIES 2
profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Hi Gyron,

I would not expect the internet speed to be any higher using the wireless connection. It is probably the other way around - faster connected by ethernet cable as this is usually 100 Mbps and wireless 54 Mbps.

The speed is usually outside your control and depends on the quality of your phone line, distance from the exchange and volume of users on your lines.

Have a look at this

http://www.pcpro.co.uk/blogs/2008/09/10/iplate-boosts-broadband-connections-by-60/

:wink:

profile.country.en_GB.title
gyron1
Explorer

Thanks Blencogo for reply. The iPlate referral looks interesting, might give it a try. Will report back on any effect.
Gyron