Join now - be part of our community!

Missing XP drivers.

profile.country.en_GB.title
elainetj
Visitor

Missing XP drivers.

Hi, I wonder if any-one could solve a small problem. I downgraded from Vista to XP as per the Sony CD & manual, and everthing went ok, except that I have two errors in the Device manager. There is the well-known big yellow "?" in front of " Other devices - base system device" and there is abig yellow "!" in front of "Display adaptors - video controller [VGA compatible]". I have tried various options, such as re-downloading the driver folder, and the utilities folder from the Vaio site, tried up-dating from the recovery CD, up-dating from Microsoft, up-dating and downloading from Intel, but nothing will solve this issue. I hope not to do another clean install as I don't think this is the answer, it seems to be something to do with unavailable drivers - maybe some-one has an answer to this problem ?
Many thanks, jonesco.

5 REPLIES 5
profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Hi jonesco and welcome to Club Vaio.

It makes it difficult to help if you don't tell us what model Vaio you have!

From what you have said, I will assume you have a Z-Series Vaio (or a SZ) - a model with two graphics chips.

It looks like you have only installed one graphics driver when the Z-Series needs you to install two. I don't know which one you have installed. You install the nVidia driver in 'Speed' mode and then reboot with the switch in 'Stamina' mode and install the Intel GMA Driver. You need to reboot because you cannot 'hot switch' from stamina to speed (or vice versa) when using XP - this only works with Vista (as do quite a few things on your Vaio).

The 'base system device' is a mass storage controller aka the MemoryStick driver and you will find the driver in the Drivers Package under the Memory Card folder.

All of these need installing the same way from Device Manager: -

* Go to Device Manager
* Right click on the {a) VGA (VGA compatible) item - b) VGA (VGA compatible) item - c) Base System Device item} select Update driver.
* Select No, not this time and press Next.
* Select Install from a specific location and press Next.
* Click on Browse and browse to the {a) Nvidia driver folder - b) folder /Graphics of the Intel Graphics driver - c) the Memory card folder} and press Ok.
* Click on Next.
* Click on Finish when done.

Of course, you may have a different model altogether ................................

:thinking:

elainetj
Visitor

Hi, many thanks for reply. Yes, I forgot entirely to put the model type etc.
Vaio VGN-SR19VN
Core duo P8400 2.26mhz
4mb ram
I wonder if this will be of much further use ?
Many thanks in advance, and again, sorry for not including hardware description !!

jonesco

Hi jonesco and welcome to Club Vaio.

It makes it difficult to help if you don't tell us what model Vaio you have!

From what you have said, I will assume you have a Z-Series Vaio (or a SZ) - a model with two graphics chips.

It looks like you have only installed one graphics driver when the Z-Series needs you to install two. I don't know which one you have installed. You install the nVidia driver in 'Speed' mode and then reboot with the switch in 'Stamina' mode and install the Intel GMA Driver. You need to reboot because you cannot 'hot switch' from stamina to speed (or vice versa) when using XP - this only works with Vista (as do quite a few things on your Vaio).

The 'base system device' is a mass storage controller aka the MemoryStick driver and you will find the driver in the Drivers Package under the Memory Card folder.

All of these need installing the same way from Device Manager: -

* Go to Device Manager
* Right click on the {a) VGA (VGA compatible) item - b) VGA (VGA compatible) item - c) Base System Device item} select Update driver.
* Select No, not this time and press Next.
* Select Install from a specific location and press Next.
* Click on Browse and browse to the {a) Nvidia driver folder - b) folder /Graphics of the Intel Graphics driver - c) the Memory card folder} and press Ok.
* Click on Next.
* Click on Finish when done.

Of course, you may have a different model altogether ................................

:thinking:

elainetj
Visitor

Hi, I also should mention that myViao VGN-SR17VN is using WinXP with SP3 downloaded.
jonesco

atomic-atc
Visitor

Hi,
you can download a driver and utillity package on the vaio-link page. You just have to click the 'XP-Downgrade' link.
The SR19VN doesn't have an Intel-video-adapter, so the Intel-drivers wont work.

elainetj
Visitor

Hi, thanks for for information, the only thing is, what does the SR19VN use instead. Or should the question be - why does device manager show an exclamation mark beside display adapter ? I have noticed that when I downloaded service pack 3 the question mark and the entry beside "video controller [vga compatible]" has gone but it has appeared in the form of an exclamation mark beside "display adapter".
Also can any-one advise on the question mark beside "device manager - other devices - base system device" ? What might be causing this issue ?
Many thanks, jonesco