Join now - be part of our community!

communicating using the xperia z tablet

SOLVED
Nair
Visitor

communicating using the xperia z tablet

am a new user of the xperia z tablet and find that I cannot  - 

1. Use Whatsapp (app says that its incompatible for device)

2. Use Lync 2013 (that's the corporate messaging platform used by me) - same, app says its incompatible for the device

3. cannot do regular voice calls through vodafone gsm card

Can anyone help?

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Rickard
Master

Hi and welcome to the community! Since you're new please be sure that you have checked out our Discussion guidelines.

For app compatibility you need to contact the developer of the app. You can also try installing the app manually using the browser if the developer provides it that way as it may work anyway. You can for example download Whatsapp here: http://www.whatsapp.com/android/.

The tablet does not support regular voice calls.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
Rickard
Master

Hi and welcome to the community! Since you're new please be sure that you have checked out our Discussion guidelines.

For app compatibility you need to contact the developer of the app. You can also try installing the app manually using the browser if the developer provides it that way as it may work anyway. You can for example download Whatsapp here: http://www.whatsapp.com/android/.

The tablet does not support regular voice calls.

Nair
Visitor

Thank you Richard. I could download and fix the problem for Whatsapp.

Do you have a similar solution for Lync 2013?

Rickard
Master

Glad to hear that you got Whatsapp working.

I haven't been able to find an official download on Lync 2013 from Microsoft. I did however find a thread on their support forums which explains why you can't download it. It requires a mobile phone: http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/lync/en-US/604617f5-1d42-4ab6-a6d4-39b378617fc1/lync-mobi...

I would recommend that you send an email to the support for this app: LyncAndroidApp@microsoft.com

Nair
Visitor

Hi Richard. took your advicem and did browse through the Microsoft support forum site. However, they dont have anything official available for Android tab.

I have instead taken advice from other forums and downloaded the apk for Android phones and have installed this on Xperia Z tablet. This has worked for now and basic chatting etc seems okay. Will have to work extensively to understand if there are any drawbacks.

Thanks for your help.

On the telephony stuff - I know that you have answered earlier that normal voice calls are not possible. However, can you advise any application that helps with enabling this feature. It would be nice if I can use the tab for telephone communication in case of urgency.

Await your thoughts and revert.

Thanks

Anil Nair

Rickard
Master

From what i know, it's not possible to enable support for regular calls using an app. You could try using voip apps instead like Skype, Viber or other SIP-clients.

Nair
Visitor

Thanks Richard