Join now - be part of our community!

HXD DVD recorder loses all channels when switched off

SOLVED
profile.country.en_GB.title
martinlest
Visitor

HXD DVD recorder loses all channels when switched off

Hi. My HXD870 no longer stores digital channels. I have rescanned using the digital tuner and once it has found the 130+ channels things are OK again - until the recorder is switched off next time. Then, once again, although all the stations are there on the TV, the recorder reports 'Channel not in Service' across the board (or 'No signal'). Again I retune and all channels are back, but are all lost again as soon as the recorder is switched off.

Has the tuner broken? Or is there, as with a PC, a user-replaceable lithium type battery inside that powers the tuner memory when the machine is off (just a wild guess!)? Is this fixable does anyone know?

To be honest this is my 6th. HDD DVD recorder (not all of which have been Sony) - all my previous ones broke down for some reason or another and now this one too: I am beginning to think that either I am jinxed or the technology just isn't reliable. They are treated with kid gloves by me and my family, so I don't think the problem is with the 'user'.. Doubt I'll 'invest' in another if this one has also become unusable..

Whatever, advice appreciated. Have searched past posts on this subject and found one or two that seem the same, but no answer.

Thanks.

Martin

35 REPLIES 35
profile.country.IT.title
rooobb
Expert

It seems like your battery is discharged..

tuftyone
Visitor

what battery? batteries in remote were changed recently and I think are OK. Is there a battery in the recorder itself? Haven't found a reference to one.

profile.country.IT.title
rooobb
Expert

There should be a battery in the unit in order to keep the setting when the unit is unplugged. I'm not sure where it is and I don't think you can do anything about it. I think you should contact an authorized service.

tuftyone
Visitor

I think my problem has been solved!

Many thanks rooobb for your patient help. I really appreciate it.

Here's what has happened since your advice to go to a service centre:

I rang the Sony helpline who, after 40 minutes trying, didn't manage to clear the problem. They also suggested I go to an authorised service centre and gave me the address etc of my nearest one.

The Service Centre did a factory reset, re-loaded an earlier version of the firmware and then v1.70, turned off auto software update (which the helpline had also recommended) and retuned etc etc.

Here's the theory bit: if you install v1.70 direct over too early a version it can get corrupted, even though the recorder shows it has got v1.70 - as mine did. (I had installed v1.70 in Jan 2010, replacing v1.28).

I'm told there is no battery in the unit of this model.

Whether the digital switchover of London contributed to my problem, I don't know. I am not looking forward to June when the Dover switchover occurs. I was tuned to Dover before and my TV aerial is still facing that way.

If there are no more posts from me on this, the problem has stayed away.

Doesnt work . I reset having found "update" stuck on the display. Now i have no channels and it wont get past Start on the initial setup.

And I cant do software update in case youre wondering

profile.country.IT.title
rooobb
Expert

Be sure you unplug from main the recorder after the reset in order to clean up the memory of the HXD. I don't know why you can't update the fw but, to work, your recorder needs the latest on (1.24 or 1.70 depending on the version)

Robroy67
Explorer

Hello, my hdx870, also loses channels stored after switched off, also when switched back on it shows d - - -, instead of programme numbers, can anyone help please 

profile.country.IT.title
rooobb
Expert

Please check of you have the right firmware 1.70 installed. It should fix the issue.
Truman25
Explorer

Hello, my dvd recorder also loses the channels once it's switched off. I've looked on this forum and tried to download the firewall on the Sony support page as suggested but it will not download to Adobe possibly because it's from 2010 

can anyone help me please?