Join now - be part of our community!

BBC iPlayer

SOLVED
profile.country.en_GB.title
TLondoner
Visitor

BBC iPlayer

Has anyone got this going?  I have just purchased the KDL32EX503U and the iPlayer option is listed but does not work and says I need an upgrade and ensure this the TV set to update. I have checked that it is but no iPlayer to date.

Thanks

35 REPLIES 35
slowtrain
Visitor

Anoucment from the BBC

http://iplayerhelp.external.bbc.co.uk/help/announcements/sony_09102010

Sony Hardware - Why am I currently not able to access BBC iPlayer on supported devices?

Please note that we are aware that some users are experiencing issues  accessing BBC iPlayer on Sony hardware. This is currently being  investigated and we hope that it will be resolved as soon as possible.  We apologise for any inconvenience this has caused.

Looks like we just have to sit tight and be patient. Roll on ITV Player I say.

ServerBaboon
Visitor

Not sure if this is related but my Sony Bravia is set to auto update and it has the latest firmware from 29/9 installed and I am not sure when it stopped working but it definitely worked before this update.

Also when you try to watch the iplayer it starts to load and there is a very brief message that flashes at the bottom of the screen that says (I think)

File not Found before the Server error appears.

slowtrain
Visitor

Hi, ServerBaboon. The auto update has to be set auto to get the latest firmware when no one's looking. :anguished:

ServerBaboon
Visitor

Yes I know what I am trying to say is that the tv has auto updated to the firmware on the website since the last time I used iplayer  and I think it could be the reason, what firmware are you using?

profile.country.GB.title
gablecottage
New

Just received email from Sony to say my Bravia TV can now received iPlayer:  software is fully updated etc, and iPlayer icon shows under video heading, but everytime I try to get it going, the same message comes up temporarily cannot access the server.......!   Model KDL 40EX503U.  All other video channels seem to work fine, such as Demand 5.   So I obviously have the same problem as most others!  Await with interest this coming week.

ServerBaboon
Visitor

just tried again tonight and the iplayer is working again.

historynut
Visitor

We have the Bravia model TV: KDL-32EX703 and it took me six days to get BBC iplayer working. I connected the Sony dongle as advised. Our Belkin router was in the study which is next to our living room and was receiving a good signal strength of around 93 and between 3-5 bars. We could access all of the other sites: Love film/You Tube etc with no issues. Every time we tried to access BBC iplayer a message appeared on the screen telling us to keep auto update on and to update our software. We tried refreshing but this did not update the software.

We phoned Sony and they told us it would take a couple of nights for the software to update. This did not happen until we moved our router into the living room for two consecutive nights. Moving the router to the living room increased the signal strength to a full five bars. During the second night the software was updated and the next morning we were able to run the iplayer without any glitches (in normal res and hi res).

We tried moving the router back to its original place in the study but iplayer would pause and stutter or freeze completely. We are now going to install the router into our living room (using a longer ethernet cable) in order to give us problem free viewing.

GadgetGirl
New

Just to keep you posted, as at 16 Oct, BBC iplayer icon available on KDL-40EX403U (with ethernet cable) but still not able to access it - despite latest firmware being up-to-date.  All other providers OK including 5 On Demand. I look forward to the issue being sorted.

hillrising
Visitor

latest info on this problem. connected iplayer three weeks ago on my new bravia tv and it was perfect.i lost it after i week and it has now returned but its restricted to a BIOS version so i cant access full content. i dont yet know if this is a Sony or a BBC problem

hillrising

allbcs
Visitor

I have  Sony Bravia KDL 40EX 503 and have had no problem accessing the BBC iplayer or the other internet channels offered. Instead of the Sony dongle recommended, I have used an ethernet cable direct from my Netgear router direct to the TV set.

Has been working fine for at least the last 3 weeks.