Join now - be part of our community!

Memory Storage Capacity

SOLVED
ncjharris
Visitor

Memory Storage Capacity

Hi, 

I've just bought a 32gb model Xperia Z tablet. However, when I check the 'storage' bit under the settings, it tells me that there is about 11gb of space available. I expected some space to be taken up with the OS, Sony-ware etc, but not 21gb. SGP312, but I dont think this is correct. I've not loaded anything on yet.

Can someone confirm what the initial storage space should be for the SGP312?

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
profile.country.GB.title
Uliwooly
Expert

http://www-support-downloads.sonymobile.com/sgp311/whitepaper_EN_sgp311_sgp312_1.pdf

* Memory comprises of approximate 2.0 GB firmware, and 11.6/26.1 GB “Internal storage” for music, pictures
and movies, and some application data. For more details of memory, See “Memory in Device” on
page 15.

Are you certain that you have the 32GB version?

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
profile.country.RO.title
_alexdon_
Expert

Yes,the SGP312 is the 32GB version.Very strange you have so small memory,if the tablet was of 16GB,you should have had 11 GB free.

alexdon
profile.country.GB.title
Uliwooly
Expert

http://www-support-downloads.sonymobile.com/sgp311/whitepaper_EN_sgp311_sgp312_1.pdf

* Memory comprises of approximate 2.0 GB firmware, and 11.6/26.1 GB “Internal storage” for music, pictures
and movies, and some application data. For more details of memory, See “Memory in Device” on
page 15.

Are you certain that you have the 32GB version?

ncjharris
Visitor

Well, I paid for the 32gb version.....

The box states that it is SGP312. The model number stamped on the bottom of the unit is SGP311. However, the free space (including after a factory reset) is around 11.6gb stated on the white paper. Given that there are two numbers there (page 5), I am guessing that the former relates to the 16gb model and the latter the 32gb. I definately don't have 26.1gb of space.

Checking under settings>about, it actually lists the model number as SGP311! That confirms it then - though why would the unit have the 32gb version packaging and the model number stamped on product itself!?

profile.country.RO.title
_alexdon_
Expert

If it is 311,it is definetely the 16 GB version.You were fooled to pay more.

alexdon
ncjharris
Visitor

I wouldn't say fooled!

Given that I bought if from Amazon and that the sale page shows it as 312, the box says 312 and the actual model number stamped on the unit says 312, I think that I was quite correct to think i was expecting the 32gb model!

I think that there has been some problem with the manufacture (or Amazon are trying one over me).

Either way, I've raised a complaint on the unit to Amazon and set up a return and replacement.

profile.country.RO.title
_alexdon_
Expert

Good luck with this,hope you get your money back.I thought you bought it from someone.

alexdon
ncjharris
Visitor

Well Amazon wouldn't replace it without a fight, but they agreed to refund me £115 quid of the purchase price,which will cover the price of the memory card to increase the capacity!
profile.country.RO.title
_alexdon_
Expert

Good thing they agree to refund you some money,but a memory card is not that expensive,you can end up with some money in the end.But for your information,you cannot move apps to the SD,only movies,pictures.

alexdon
jianxin_ljx717
Visitor

Lesson learnt here. Buy sony product only in Sont concept store. urs obviously is 16GB