Join now - be part of our community!

Poor quality photographs

SOLVED
profile.country.en_LT.title
sauroman
Visitor

Poor quality photographs

Hello, I have good 0.8MP camcorder DCR DVD110e which can photograph only maximum  0.3MP resolution photographs. Can Sony develop firmware that could allow to make 0,8MP photographs, add extra settings.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
profile.country.en_GB.title
Watashiwateshdes
Contributor

Hi

The biggest difficulty any manufacturer faces with instances like this are going to be image quality. Software alone is not adequate to compensate for the results you would experience if this was possible.

The biggest problem with doing this is doing to be even lower quality photographs due to the hardware limiations with the imaging sensor. Since it is a preset size to fit inside the body, it only has a certain surface area.

Now granted each pixel can be multiplied via software but that will only cause a more blocky image when simply applying a software instruction via firmware. Without additional hardware to help clean up the image, it is going to be pretty difficult to do so. Even jumps from 0.3 to 0.8mp can cause quite a significant difference in image quality.

I mean most manufacturers even Sony could do it but at the sacrifice of lower quality photos, well not really something worth using and make it not worth using at all.

Firmware udpates are released when needed or when there is enough interested so im not going to say that it wont happen but something that can be looked into.

I would highly recommend visiting http://Sony.co.uk/support from time to time for information on your product and also possible firmware updates as most can be done by the user.

Hope that gives you some insight.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Watashiwateshdes
Contributor

Hi

The biggest difficulty any manufacturer faces with instances like this are going to be image quality. Software alone is not adequate to compensate for the results you would experience if this was possible.

The biggest problem with doing this is doing to be even lower quality photographs due to the hardware limiations with the imaging sensor. Since it is a preset size to fit inside the body, it only has a certain surface area.

Now granted each pixel can be multiplied via software but that will only cause a more blocky image when simply applying a software instruction via firmware. Without additional hardware to help clean up the image, it is going to be pretty difficult to do so. Even jumps from 0.3 to 0.8mp can cause quite a significant difference in image quality.

I mean most manufacturers even Sony could do it but at the sacrifice of lower quality photos, well not really something worth using and make it not worth using at all.

Firmware udpates are released when needed or when there is enough interested so im not going to say that it wont happen but something that can be looked into.

I would highly recommend visiting http://Sony.co.uk/support from time to time for information on your product and also possible firmware updates as most can be done by the user.

Hope that gives you some insight.

profile.country.en_LT.title
sauroman
Visitor

If this camcorder can record movies in HD quality it should also possible to make higher resolution images.

Mick2011
New

Hi sauroman

Watashiwateshdes is right to point to the physical size of the image sensor as the main restriction here. The pixel dimensions you can get from this camera cannot increase without changing the physical sensor chip in the camera. Obviously this is a hardware upgrade, not firmware, and not one I would imagine was feasible or viable given internal space restrictions.

There is, to be fair, a restriction to VGA resolution for stills, which is only half the resolution of the camera's video capability. However even if the full video resolution could be utilised via firmware - and bearing in mind the 110e isn't an HD camcorder - it would produce an image with only a fraction of the resolution of even the most basic modern digital stills camera. For this reason I would imagine a firmware upgrade to achieve this would not be a priority.

Best wishes

Mick